Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Suddenly I have to input username & password EVERY TIME

Go to solution

One week ago, my broadband connection started, quite suddenly, to prompt me to input my username & password every time I try to access the internet and every time I try to open a new website. It lets me in successfully (most of the time. Sometimes it still says "CANNOT CONNECT TO SERVER"), telling me I am in a "wifi hot spot", but why is it suddenly forcing me to log on every time? It has always (for several years) been automatic.

No one on the BT Help Desk knows how to fix this problem.

(I am not, as you might guess, computer savvy!) Thanks for any help you might offer.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Suddenly I have to input username & password EVERY TIME

Go to solution

Try ONE factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This can often sort out problems.

Once it has restarted make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

Make sure you are entering your Homehub SSid (name) which will be something like BTHomehub5-xxxx and password and that you are not logging onto BTWifi.

If you are using a Windows computer make sure when you connect that you tick the box "connect automatically"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @ShepBush12 can you check that you are definitely connecting to your wifi network, the network name that's on the back of the hub, as it sounds like you could be possibly connecting to the bt wifi hotspots Fon that hubs broadcast for other bt internet customers to jump on. As you don't have to use a username to access your own wifi just the password and once you are connected it shouldn't really ever ask for it again. 

Edit sorry for double post @gg30340 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi! Thanks. It's definitely the hot spot FON that I am accessing.

How do I switch it to access my own hub?

(I have tried the reset thing, with the pin. but that did not work.)

( I cannot access the Hub Manager. It just says: "CANNOT CONNECT TO SERVER")

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

What device are you using to connect, phone, laptop, tablet or PC?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

MacBook Air

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
select your hubs SSID on your PC then when prompted enter the wireless key and then click on connect
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Find the label on the back of your Homehub. It will have the SSid (name) of your Homehub on it. It will be something like BTHomehub5-xxxx. There will also be a wireless passkey/password.

Go to the connection on your computer, it will be at the bottom right hand corner. Looks like a small triangle. Click on it and it will show all the wireless networks that your computer can see. Find the one that has the same name as your Homehub. Click on it then enter the wireless passkey/password that is on the Homehub lable.

Tick the box " connect automatically".

You should now be connected to your Homehub.

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9692/~/connect-to-a-bt-hub-using-wi-fi

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

OK, Thanks Everyone for all your good ideas. I will try this as soon as I get home tonight and report back.

Hopefully this will have fixed this tiresome problem.

Thank you !!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

HUGE Thank you to Everyone who came to my rescue with my access problem. This issue which has been driving me nuts for a week now and could not be solved by BT despite spending 4hrs on their chatline has been remedied by the Forum People in about 5 seconds. I am very very grateful for all your concise instructions as to how to fix this situation.

THANK YOU ! Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings