cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Suggestion for BT - Re Family Usage of WiFi without using Main Account Credentials

With regards to using WiFi when you're out and about, it appears that BT don't have the availability for "family accounts", so I am unable to link my family to my account and let them use WiFi. If I want them to have access to WiFi, I need to continually keep entering MY username and MY password into THEIR device.

Seems a little cumbersome.

I think some of the backend systems of BT leave a little bit to be desired in terms of technical completeness.

So could I place the suggestion of either having:

• Linked Accounts; or
  • Family Registrations;
  • or Family Login
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Suggestion for BT - Re Family Usage of WiFi without using Main Account Credentials

I can't speak for BT, but I very much suspect for whatever reason it was a conscious decision NOT to allow family usage of BT WiFi rather than an omission.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: Suggestion for BT - Re Family Usage of WiFi without using Main Account Credentials

BTWIFI is only intended for use by the account holder. However by using your BTID on family devices you are able to let family use your account. You should be able to enter the password and save it on the Device making sure not visible. Then family should be able to access BTWIFI without having to enter password

bear in mind if family have the password they then have access to your BT account

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Sadly there in lies the problem, because with Chrome etc, you can store password, and even retrieve them. So if you enter them onto a relatives device, then they could easily get the main password.

If you can just enter the username/password onto a relatives device, it kind of makes it pointless to not be able to add friends and family onto a managed WiFi account in the first place.

The problem I had with the username/password route, is that the BT WiFi sign up kept coming on all the time, even with the BT app, and I didn't want to provide the main password to the account.

So a service like this would have been extremely beneficial, especially considering we signed up for it at the start of December when we moved into our new house with no internet connectivity and having to wait til next week for broadband activation.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

I agree with @licquorice  BT restricted access to the account holder and are very unlikely to change

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings