cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

Super slow Broadband from BT

I had my BT Broadband installed on 14/09/13 on the 16MB unimited package, my estimaterd speed was given as being about 10MB/s. Since the first day the fastest speed I can download at is just over 1MB/s. If I start a second download the sum of the two equates to 1MB/s and if I start a third again that 1MB/s is split between the three downloads.

I have tried from a variety of sources which I know to be stable and fast yet 1MB/s is the maximum I can get. I have tried this on my laptop, wired and wireless, on my pc, wired and wireless, on my mobile phone and also on my xbox with exactly the same results.

On checking my router (BT Homehub 4) Helpdesk page it shows that the hub is resetting on a regular basis, currently showing 6 hours uptime.

I have emailed BT to complain who got back to me yesterday and after speaking to three different people I was told it would be passed on to another department as a line fault had been detected.

Today I had another call from BT telling me they now cannot see any faults, and all seems fine to them. They offered to pass me to a technical dept who may be able to fix the issue but if they did I would be charged. I declined as I do not intend to pay BT to fix a BT fault. I requested openreach be sent out to check the outside cabling and again was told this would incur a charge if it was my equiptment which again I pointed out was definatly not the issue. All my devices work through my fathers virgin line splendidly with great speeds from the sites I have previously tried here.

I would like a mod to please esculate this problem and see to it that it is fixed post haste.

I would post my router stats but in all honesty, I see no point as it will not stay up for the three days I am told that the mods require to see, due to the line fault causing dropouts which now I am told do not exist.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Super slow Broadband from BT

1 MBS (MegaByte per second) download, is about right for your connection.  This is equivalent to about an 8 Mbs (Megabit per second) connection.

Try the BT Wholesale Speedtester

and see what it says.

Don`t get confused with Megabits and Megabytes. Downloads are normally measured in Megabytes per second.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

can you check your exchange and see if it is 21CN enabled 

check exchange here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the replies all, I checked as requested and it does show as 21CN being enabled.

I checked again on the BT wholesale speedtest and it does indeed show download being 10.47 Mbps which as you stated does seem right with the 1.2MB/s i get.

If this is the correct speed for my line then although it is my mistake I find the advertising of the speed to be misleading for the average customer, a better way in my opinion would be to state the actual download/upload speed one is to expect as both the website and advisor I spoke to made it sound like I should expect up to 16 instead of the actual 1.2 that it seems is my maximum.

Either way I thank you both for your help and only have myself to blame for not researching what the advertised equates to in real money.

This does not however explain why my hub is resetting on a daily basis, does anyone have any insight as to why this is still happening and does it suggest a fault or issue elsewhere outside of my property?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Its a very common mistake to confuse the two methods of measurement Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 9

Forgot to add results and edited my previous post to add this just before you replied 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

are you conencted to the test socket?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing no hiss/crackle and best with corded phone   if cordless then dull hum normal.

if you have the HH4 then if you enter 192.168.1.254 into your browser ten enter hub manager then go to troubleshooting then logs you should find 2 entries together when your hub connected to the internet which show connection speed and also noise margin - if you can post please

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

IMJ, It appears like the OP has misunderstood the units of measure.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

I saw that Keith but with the stats it may be possible to get more connection speed with more information

0 Ratings