Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
legend_rs
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Super slow Broadband

Go to solution

So i have option 3 Broadband installed around 3 weeks ago, and got the BT vision Box Gold package,

its a week past the initial 10 day period i can expect engineer tests etc,

for the first 2 days of installation i got around 5mb dl, about 1mb short of what the sales guy said i could expect here, (neighbours get 5 cos i went today and asked them to check). so not too bad.

then it dropped to around 100kpbs, and my Ip profile was set at 134 kpbs for the remaining days.

It then increased to 1.9dl speed with the ip profile set to 2mb, it stayed at this for about 2 days.

the BT vision box needs 2mb to stream properly, and at just under 2mb it stutters when streaming some times,

It has now gone to a speed of 60 kpbs (is that not dial up speed?) with the ip profile again being set 134 kpbs.

Any one in the know out there can tell me why im not getting the speeds the predicted, why my ip profile has been lowered again? and what to do to fix it.

Please dont ask me to ring Technical, cos i have made 20 calls to those guys in india at least! passed about in a loop, hung up on, promise of a call back that never came, told there systems are down etc etc.

I have had no answers from them, and im paying 36 quid a month for a BT vision service i simply cant use, a dl speed of around 100 kpbs 99% of the time, i cant play online games on my ps3, im so angry right now, please some advice on who to call in this country, who to write too to complain.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Super slow Broadband

Go to solution

welcome to the forum

it sounds like you are either resetting the hub to try and get a better speed or the hub is resetting on it's own.  that would account for your profile being at rock bottom 135

in order to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
legend_rs
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply

Its connected to the master, its the only socket in the house, the phone is in the filter in the same socket, they put a new socket in when the yconnected the phone and Broadband. i can confirm i have reset the hub, but only in recent days, as when im on the net, i get the hub screen up with the flashing light, saying unable to connect so i follow the prompts and it tells me to restart the hub,

please find the test results,

the router displays hiher speeds than the ip profile, im not sure if thats normal, maybe you can make more sense of it, im not really clued up on all this lol, all i went is around 5mb dl so i can play my games etc 🙂

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
legend_rs
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution
ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 01:13:51
Downstream: 2.281 Mbps
Upstream: 1.133 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 21.3 dB / 8.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 34.0 dB / 21.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 18.3 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 200 / 190

0 Ratings
legend_rs
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution
ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 01:13:51
Downstream:2.281 Mbps
Upstream:1.133 Mbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):21.3 dB / 8.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):34.0 dB / 21.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.3 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):200 / 190

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

well looking at your stats the good news is that with a good line and no noise problems I would expect a connection of about 12mb

you connection time is only 1hr+ have you been resetting again to try and improve your connection?  the worst thing for your broadband is resets/disconnections.  you need to stay connected 24/7 for 3/5 days and your connection should improve and your noise margin which at 21 is very high should drop to normal about 6.  your profile of 135 will also increase in line with your speed as shown here  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

can you go back to the same page and 'show detail' and post the errors

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
legend_rs
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

yea, i have reset it just before as again i got the orange light, and i follow the hub instructions that automatically come onto my screen when i try and connect to a normal web page, when i follow the instructions it tells me to reset the hub, Should i ignore this and just leave it alone? im not sure why im still getting disconects after the 10 day period though, there less, but im still getting arond 1 per night when im doing stuff online.

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):20.6 dB / 8.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):34.0 dB / 21.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.3 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):200 / 191
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):1056 / 1167
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):101 / 115

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

are you connected to the hub wireless or wired?

legend_rs
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

the desktop is via ethernet direct to the hub, so wired, the ps3 wireless, the desktop is around 2 meters from the socket, with the cable being around 2.5 meters, the ethernet is the standard that came with the BT 3.0 hub, once its all working i was going to get a wireless card for the desktop and put it in the dining room, but until i know im going to get a decent speed i have been waiting to do that

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

which type of socket did they install nte5 master socket.jpg  or

adsl 1  original.jpg