cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 42

Super slow / inconsistent broadband

Ok - i've been having very slow/inconsistent broadband for several weeks now and I am on my third call to BT tech support which hasn't yielded anything.

I have a HH2 which was wired into my 1 and only telephone socket - with some extension cabling - then ethernet connected to my TV and wirelessly connected to 2 laptops (never both on at once) and a couple of smartphones.

Ability to use internet through any device took a dive a few weeks ago - and hasn't worked consistently since.

Since my first call to BT I have put it into my phone socket via the test socket, used inSSIDer3 to try shifting to a quieter wireless channel, and replaced my ethernet cable - all with no sustainable improvement. BT have also sent a replacement HH2 - which has made no discernable difference. In fact performance had actually improved briefly before the replacement HH turned up - but then took another dive - so I thought I may as well switch to the 'new' one i'd been sent...

Some days it is OK - yesterday my wife watched a full episode of 'The Apprentice' using the laptop on wifi with no problems. Today it is crawling whilst connected direct to the HH with an ethernet cable...

I have run http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ repeatedly over the last few weeks. Typical results when it isn't working are like the test i've just run:

Download speed 0.32

Upload speed 0.35

Ping latency 33.25

The 'further diagnostics' option on the speedtest NEVER works - it just seems to time out/crash

ASDL stats currently say this (I have no idea what any of it means though)

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 1:09:59
Downstream6,752 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)14.3 dB / 30.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)12.0 dB / 8.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)15.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)14944 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)414 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)

0 Ratings
41 REPLIES 41
Contributor
Message 2 of 42

Re: Super slow / inconsistent broadband

Some detail I forgot - i have the NTE5 socket and, since calling BT tech support have got the HH plugged direct into the test socket, via my ASDL filter, with no improvement.

I have done quiet line test - my only telephone is a wireless one - and it can be fairly crackly - so I do hear some squeaks and crackles when doing the quiet line test - but have no idea if this is my phone or the line.

Broadband WAS repeatedly disconnecting (i.e. the B was going red then orange then back to blue) but as I don't sit looking at the HH all day I have no idea how often it is happening...

After my third call to BT i have an engineer due to come out on Monday with the ominous "if we can't find a fault it'll cost you £100" ringing in my ears...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 42

if there is noise on your line that needs sorting out first as that is the cause of your broadband disconnections if you can hear the noise at the test socket that eliminates any internal wiring issues and there should be no charges for the engineers visit
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 42

I've just put my wireless phone straight into the test socket, even removed the ASDL filter. On quiet line test it is mostly silent, although every 30 seconds or so it gives a bit of a crackle. Still no idea if this is the line or the phone though...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 42

I hope it's not the phone otherwise you will get billed for the callout

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 42

Is that the only possible explanation for why my broadband has suddenly stopped functioning correctly then? And if there isn't a noise issue on my line?? The broadband still isn't working correctly....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 42

there may be different things to try and improve the conenction but need to start of with a line with no noise

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 42

Is there any way of determining a noise problem other than with my own ears? Does the info the from hub say anythng about noise on the line - e.g. 

Noise margin (Down/Up)14.3 dB / 30.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)

12.0 dB / 8.5 dB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 42

your noise margin is high as normal about 6db but if the line noise is causing the connection to drop then before you can get noise margin down you need to stop the line noise which drops connection and increases noise margin

you could get mods to reduce noise margin back to 6db but with line noise it would be pointless as in no time with drops in connection you would be back to square one - so fix line noise first

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 42

no it is what you can hear
this link should help explain the hub details http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm
0 Ratings