cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 42

Re: Super slow / inconsistent broadband

no magic word just request to speak to a level 2 member of online support but all you need top do is maintain a stable connection and we can give you a link to the forum mods if needed
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 32 of 42

Well this is frustrating. BT engineer came out, declared that our extension wiring was the problem (although the Hub has been connected via the test socket for the last week) and has functioned through the same extension wire for 4+ years with no problems so far.

He replaced the front plate on our main socket and (don't tell anyone) replaced all the extension cabling, and gave us a Homehub 3 to replace our HH2. Which worked fine for about 2 hours - and is still giving a cracking speed when connected via ethernet - but has spontaneously stopped providing a wireless signal.......

Another phone call to BT tech support and, guess what, they have no idea what has gone wrong...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 42

if engineer said internal wiring is/was the problem then lookd like a bill for the callout  stats in test socket looked good and stable and once 3+ days mods would have reset noise margin with increase in speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 34 of 42

As he's replaced the Hub i'll take that as an indication that their equipment was faulty - and argue wholeheartedly if they apply a callout fee.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 42

Just watch your bill probably in about a month or so- you will have some argument as he replaced your internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 42

a charge is made if the problem is found with internal wiring or equipment after the master socket arguing about it is rarely successful as the charge is raised by Openreach and passed on to BT Retail your ISP
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 37 of 42

The engineer replaced at least the front of the master socket too - I really can't see how they will be able to justify a charge - he wouldn't have replaced the master socket parts for no reason - and that part is definitely not my responsibility...

Another phone call to BT this morning - they have no idea why the new HH3 the engineer gave us is not providing a wireless signal - 'must be a faulty HH' - we'll send a new one out. This'll be the 4th HH in less than a month...

Are HomeHubs known for constantly breaking? Did I get lucky having one that worked for 5 years without skipping a beat - before this round of problems manifested itself?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 42

the HHs sometimes are faulty on receipt but 3 in a row unlikley - if 4th does not 'work' then can't believe that you are that unlucky to get 4 faulty HHs

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 39 of 42

I also find it strange that, on ethernet at least, the new HomeHub was cranking out a 6.7mbps connection as soon as it was connected - no need for a 'stabilisation period' - or 3 days of consistent connection before the profile for my Broadband was reset to allow more traffic.

Unless connecting a new router gives me a reset IP profile - without the limitations that appear to be responsible for slow traffic in a lot of cases (and suggested as the main cause of my problem on this thread)?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 42

everytime your router is reset your conenction speed will most likely change and you profile may or may not change depending on your conenction speed.  profile is based on conenction speed  see here 

check profile

0 Ratings