Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aval01
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Superslow BT Infinity

Go to solution

New Infinity connection today. Promised speeds of 70+ mbps much anticipated... 

Reality - upload of 2.5 mbps, 10.12 up... then a two hour total crash.  All fine at my end so not my fault. but no worries I thought, after all the BT webiste resssures me:

"Expert help when you need it

Call our broadband helpline free from your landline 24/7"

I hour and 6 minutes hanging on the phone just to be told it's running slow... I still have no idea if/when it will change.   I rely on the internet for my business so I wish I'd stuck to my reliable old Demon connection, at least I was getting a compartively scintillating 5 mbps, a call centre I could have an intelligent conversation with, and a clear idea of when problems would be resolved.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Superslow BT Infinity

Go to solution
this is residential use only
bt infinity for business is for business
0 Ratings
Aval01
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

only number I was given

0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
number of what?
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
if you are an infinity Business user you need to try this forum http://business.forums.bt.com/t5/Broadband-and-internet/bd-p/Broadband

this forum is for residential customers
0 Ratings
Aval01
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

I am a residential user - I just use the line for business

0 Ratings
Aval01
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

OK today a REAL BT engineer arrived, rather than one of the new recruits (typically ex-military) thrown into the the field with no proper training who did the original installation.  

Turns out the wrong modem had been supplied for the Hob... and the original guy had diverted the incoming line via all my domestic phone plugs before it reached the box for the modem, and wired the plug wrongly. He then failed to carry out the proper test before leaving.

Basic stuff!!!

If anyone from BT is reading this, this policy of throwing untrained staff into the field is a serious threat to your credibility (as well as a massive waste of time for all concerned).   The relatively young, traditionally BT-trained engineer was impressively thorough, curteous, non-patronising, and very embarrased that he was having to clear up such a mess.  

sjtp
Guru
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Good that you got a good engineer (eventually). Just a reminder that both engineers were BT Openreach, not BT retail. You would have had pretty much the same engineers and experience whichever FTTC supplier you chose.

Openreach is an effective monopoly; and often seems to behave accordingly. Worse than many, as it is effectively hidden behind its retailers; it doesn't care about its credibility, and in any case it is often the retailer's credibility that suffers from Openreach errors.

I hope your speeds now pick up with your corrected installation.

0 Ratings
Aval01
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks, that's interesting. I recall BT shed thousands of its trained engineers in cost-cutting around 2008-9.  

Ironic they are now having to fast-track new recruits who don't have the depth of telecoms knowledge or culture. 

Latest reading 58 mb/s and improving.  

Anyone know the best Openreach e-mail I can make my complaints/comments to?

0 Ratings
Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
0 Ratings