Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Supposed to be connected Friday, now left with no internet at all

Hi,

Having been so impressed with the ease of getting set up with BT Infinity myself, I recommended it to my non-techy parents and they were supposed to have been switched from Zen ADSL and connected on Friday.

Engineer came and did his stuff, but 'there was something wrong with the fibre' and so he 'put everything back as it was' as he needed someone else to come and do something at the cabinet. He left and said it might be that day it happened.

Old connection stayed live until the end of Friday when it was cut. Parents convinced they did something wrong so haven't contacted anyone about it.

DSL light on the router is green but now have no username and password to access. Is there any such thing as a temporary one so they at least have access while they are waiting for this mythical person to do what they have to do?

I was hoping for a simple transition and this is turning out to be not so much 😞

Thanks!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: Supposed to be connected Friday, now left with no internet at all

If the Home Hub has turned up, that should have the correct username and password programmed in.  If you're using any other ADSL router, the username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and you can use any password you like - it authenticates by what phone line you are connected to, not by a password.  Some routers won't work unless you type something in as a password, but it doesn't matter what.

That's the username and password to actually connect to the broadband.  That should be enough to get basic internet access.  BT should have written separately with a new email address and password for email access.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

I assume that they stopped their Zen connection on the same date as the expected their BT Infinity to start. If so it means that they will have no broadband until BT get around to connecting Infinity.

If they have the Homehub that should have been delivered to them, they could try plugging it in to see if it works. I suspect that it won't but if it does they do not need a username or password. If it is going to work it just will.

I think you will need to phone BT on 0800 800 150 and ask them what is happening with the order and when an engineer will be out to finish the job that was started.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 15

Unfortunately sometimes these things do happen. Openreach do have a team they contact when for instance you get a faulty fibre DSLAM port. However sometimes this is out of the hands out the fibre installers as they do not have the necessary skills. Although your parents broadband should still work if they have the Hub 5 as its compatible with ADSL and the line is connected to the ADSL equipment still in the exchange just incase for instance the fibre install doesn't go to plan.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Thanks for those suggestions.

They're reluctant to connect the Home Hub up, saying the installer didn't do that so they shouldn't. Smiley Frustrated

The old router still has the zen username and password settings. I didn't think while there to just try deleting those ... duh ... I'll call round again tomorrow if BT haven't contacted them and see if either of those suggestions works.

We used a Mac code to switch so they've not deliberately stopped the old contract on Friday.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Tell them just to plug the HH5 in. If it's going to work it will. They won't cause any damage or anything bad. If it doesn't work they just unplug it until the engineers comes.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Well, they've called this morning and been told it'll be Wednesday before there's any kind of update, and that there's no way to use the ADSL in the meantime.

Ironically the online order status tells them to keep checking online for an update, which they CAN'T ... grrrr Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 15

Did they try connecting the HH5?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

They still wont. I'll go round tomorrow and try.

If nothing then I'll leave them my 3G iPad so they can at least check email etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Didn't work.

Have left them an old mobile acting as a wireless hotspot, but really not happy with the lack of information and helpfullness from BT.

0 Ratings