cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

Surrounding buildings have fiber but only ADSL for my apartment

Go to solution

So I'm due to be moving soon and started looking into what broadband packages would be best for my new apartment but it turns out that there is no fiber available, I dont really understand as every surrounding building seems to have fiber and the apartment is right on the main street so its not in the outskirts or anything.

What are the possible reasons for this and is there anything I or my prospective landlord can do about it? Ive been apartment hunting for several months now and this one really is perfect. Zoopla advertised it as being fiber capable and as I said, every surrounding building seems to have it but if fiber isnt a possibility I will have to give up on it since I work and study from home so a fast internet connection is essential. I was just about to sign the final paperwork tomorrow so any responses would be very much appreciated.

broadband 3a.png

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Surrounding buildings have fiber but only ADSL for my apartment

Go to solution

What did you enter in to checker to get results - post code, address or phone number. 

That result shows fibre is available just there is a waiting list as cabinet must be full

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

I entered the full address since I have don't know what the phone number is yet and just the postcode always seems to just give an all clear.

Thanks for your response, can you clarify what you mean by the cabinet being full, so is it as simple as entering a waiting list and getting conected eventually? How long would this process usually take?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

The street cabinet is full - all the available fibre connections are in use so you need to join the waiting list and wait for somebody moving and giving up their conection.  Openreach may in time upgrade the cabinet but there will be no timescale unless there was something in the notes which were below the table

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Ok, thank you very much although thats not exactly what I was hoping to hear. Do I contact openreach about trying to get on the waiting list?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

You would need to select an ISP and place an order and if fibre still not available then you get on ISP waiting list. Openreach do not deal with the public

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

No, Openreach are not customer facing. I'm not convinced a waiting list system operates, I can't see how it can do with the myriad of ISPs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Sigh, ok, thanks for all of your help, this is the first time Im renting a place of my own other than student digs where we had wifi included so its all new to me, had no idea it would be this complicated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

At least the estimate for adsl is very good at 17mb and possibly slightly better and that I still available. So you can take that and upgrade to fibre when available

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Depending on your needs and availability have you considered just getting a good 4g mobile phone/data package. If need be you can tether a laptop/tablet to it.

0 Ratings