cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Swap HH5 for HH4?

Hi.... Im new to these forums but have had BT broadband for 4 years now. Last April i upgraded to BT Infinity 2 as fibre had just been enabled in my area. Well since the upgrade ive had numerous disconnections/router reboots, sometimes several a day, sometimes one or two every few days. Its very annoying to say the least and i have put up with this untill now. I did a google search and found that many users complain that the HH5 is faulty/bugged etc. My question is, i still have my HH4 from my previous non fibre days, so could i try to use this in place of the HH5?  Would it be capable of handling the new fibre speeds?.... although i pay for infinity 2 my speed has never really got above around 40mb to be honest.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Swap HH5 for HH4?

The HH5 has a built-in VDSL2 modem but the HH4 does not. You need an Openreach modem to use the HH4 on Infinity.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Sorry for sounding like a complete airhead, but what is a modem?  when the engineer did the instalation he replaced my socket with a much bulkier one that says Openreach on the front, would this be anything to do with a modem?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Well, yes and no - that is the Master socket. The modem plugs into that.

Your HH5 is a combined modem/router - the modem part works with VDSL2.

Your HH4 is also a combined modem router but the modem part only works with ADSL/ADSL2+.

In order to use the HH4 instead of the HH5, you will need an additional modem that works with VDSL2.

If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Ok i did a search and found some Openreach modems on Ebay. Would these do the job? and what would be the set up? I'm assuming its would be... Modem plugged into the master socket then the HH4 plugged into the modem. Also i am using BT Home Plugs to have my 2 sons games consoles running with a wired connection in their rooms.... would these still be useable in the same way as they are now?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

You could also use an Openreach modem with the HH5 - that has fixed the reboots for a lot of people. If you get one, I can recommend the HG612 v3B

They are just plug and play essentially. You plug the modem in to the Master Socket and connect the WAN socket on the HH4 or HH5 to LAN1 on the modem using an ethernet cable with rJ45 plugs on each end and then power the modem on.

It's important to power down the HH5 or Openreach modem before connecting and disconnecting it to and from the Master Socket.

Alternatively, you can try and stabilise the HH5 by doing a factory reset, which costs nothing
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factory-...

If not, I'll try again 🙂
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

Thank you Ray for your help and patience 🙂

0 Ratings