Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Swapped to BT - Terrible Speed #2

Hi 

I'm in the same boat; I've just swapped from sky (flawless service for 4 years, I add) to find my infinity service drops to near ADSL speeds at peak times. It's completely unusable! During the day it's absolustely fine so its clearly a severe congestion issue within BT's infrastructure.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 17

Re: Swapped to BT - Terrible Speed #2

Hi @m1ssed,

Did you have a fibre service when you moved over to us?

Do you mainly notice you lose your speed, in the evenings, over wireless devices only?

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Hi @DanielS

I have been with Sky for 4 years using their fibre service with no problems day or night - same property, street cab, exchange. During the day BT infinity is fine but as soon as it hits 7pm things start to deteriorate - last night I was getting 6mbps with serious lag spikes in video games

Performance problems exist no matter how I access the Internet. I was using a wired connection last night (plugged direct into HH) and it was still horrendous.

My friend has BT infinity and has the exact same problem, he also on the same exchange as me - Seaford, Sussex. He had no problems before moving to BT

Please can you investigate
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 17

Have you spoken with our technical department for help? They will have asked you to perform speed tests during the times you're reporting a slow throughput. You need to use one wired connection for the test. The site is http://speedtest.btwholesale.com. Once it's complete perform further diagnostics to send the results back to our suppliers servers.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Hi @DanielS

I'm raising the fault with BT with all that speed test info to hand - was showing 6.2mbps out of a line potential of 53mbps for downstream. Tested this morning and I'm getting 52mbps down and everything is working as I expect it to. It's so frustrating because when it's work off peak it's a **bleep** site faster than sky!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

It'll be network congestion on your VP (virtual pathway). BT Wholesale will need to upgrade, or increase the number of VP's to spread out the load.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Hi Webby

How long does that take and how can we escalate the problem faster? I assumed they have tools to monitor congestion at each exchange and scale the network accordingly?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

This is what I observed friday night 

inifinity 2.jpg

This what i get during the day (test saturday morning)

infinity off peak.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

You need to escalate through the call centre.

Most of time Wholesale are aware, but depending on what needs done to increase capacity it can take months of planning, waiting for new kit, the kit to be installed etc.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

bt exchange bt line bt cabinet sky use the same as bt so why slow speeds with bt but not sky wouldnt you have network congestion with sky ..having same problems and have been for 3 mths total joke if you rise fault bt just close it fix or not makes it look like they are fixing faults when they are not.

0 Ratings