cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: Swapped to BT - Terrible Speed #2

also how can it be network congestion when if you restart modem speed is back to normal but slow again after few hour up time ..
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

You don't seem to understand how the network works.

You're right in that the line, cabinets and exchanges are all Openreach (not BT) responsibility and all data to the exchange follows the same path. There is no problem here, the fibre links back to the exchange usually have at least 2.5Gb/s capacity, with the potential of a LOT more. This is not where the bottle neck is.

As I've said, Sky and a few other providers such as TalkTalk use a different backhaul from the exchange.

When the fibre connection from the cabinet gets to the exchange, the data is handed over to the relevant layer 2 switch for the onward connection. BT use a BT Wholesale backhaul, as do the likes of PlusNet. Sky and TalkTalk, amongst other providers don't, so their customers are routed differently once they hit the layer 2 switch in the exchange.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 13 of 17

so bt know this also but choose to string poeple along and tell you all is working as it should  if they cant provide speeds stated at start of contract because of congestion or drops below VDSL Range A  should be released from contract .my speed drops any time of day till it is dial up speed and i have restart modem then its ok for a while then starts to slow again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 17

BT as in your ISP wouldn't know about it, least of all the sales advisors.

The ranges on the DSL checker are relevant to sync speed, not throughput.

I agree that if the issue can't be resolved within a reasonable time frame, then you should be free to leave without penalty.

Have you considered trying a third party router to rule out the home hub?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 15 of 17

when i say bt i mean open reach as well
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 16 of 17

modem on the way tp link 9980 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 17

See what the results are with that. If the issue resolves itself with a reboot, it's very very, very unlikely to be network congestion.
0 Ratings