cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JakeBeast
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Switched ISP to BT, normal for Internet to be capped to begin with?

Yesterday after recieving the Home Hub early in the morning, following easy installation and my computer located upstairs succesfully picking up the installation I have noticed much slower speeds than what my previous ISP was giving me (650-700 kb/s). Thinking this was maybe a small startup period where the speed was limited or capped, recieving an average of 150 - 250 kb/s download speeds I took no real notice. In the night time around 11-12ish, I was recieving terrible speeds of 50 kb/s to the point where Facebook or loading a picture would be lagging out my Ventrilo connection. I decided to call it a day and leave it till tomorrow (today) to see how the download speeds are and while they're higher than the 50 kb/s I was recieving last night, I now roughly get anywhere from 90-250 kb/s again (whilst downloading on the same file with a host that allows maximum speed) with the occasional 2 or 3 second entry into the 300 kb/s zone before spiking back down. This spike is both on my bedroom computer and downstairs, where the computer is less than a 3 metre distance from the home hub.

I did a BT test online after providing my home phone number which is a BT line where it stated I should roughly recieve a 5.5mbps connection, which I'm clearly not currently recieving on this service as of now. Is this normal to have a relatively slow connection when first starting on BT (2nd day on this ISP) or could there be a problem elswhere i'm not aware of? Thanks for any help!

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Switched ISP to BT, normal for Internet to be capped to begin with?

HI
As a new bt user you are in a 10 day line training period it is normal during this time for your hub to disconnect as the exchange equipment selects the most stable speed for your line please do not manually restart the hub during this period and leave it turned on 24/7 during this period please post back any time if you need any help or advice
Highlighted
JakeBeast
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for the fast response, I suspected it was something similar to this as during a BT speedtester session it said my download speeds were 603-700 kb/s yet my computer was capped at 250.
Soulvache
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 17

Don't forget to leave your hub on! Resetting it or switching it off unnecessarily will seriously hamper your line speed as this is effectively a period of 'learning' for your line.

Cheers,

Kyle.

=======================================
If you found my post helpful, please give Kudos on the left!
JakeBeast
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

After recieving a stable 720 kb/s connection last night for a period of around 3-4 hours before going to bed, today i'm now stuck at 100-250 kb/s. Curses BT! I thought the speed would now be capped higher after a nice constant connection and speed of 700+.
0 Ratings
blooty
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

It's normal for the speed to go up AND down during the training period... the MSAN/DSLAM tests the full range to find your most stable sync speed...
If i've given you a helpful answer please rate me by clicking the rating star to the left 😄
BT Total Broadband Option 4 - London - Pimlico Exchange
Soulvache
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 17

If there are significant issues, the line will drop your profile almost immediately, yet it can take a good, solid 5 days for the profile to increase again.

I'm afraid it really is just a matter of waiting, but hopefully worth it in the end!

Kyle

If you found my post helpful, please give Kudos on the left!
0 Ratings
JakeBeast
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

It's now the 9th day since switching ISP to BT and again my internet is still ranging from 150-260 daily and rarely goes into higher territories. Should I be concerned that I will not recieve full speeds or should I wait until Monday to see if it's normal (10th day) before I start enquiring further into this?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
reme8488
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 17

@JakeBeast wrote:

It's now the 9th day since switching ISP to BT and again my internet is still ranging from 150-260 daily and rarely goes into higher territories. Should I be concerned that I will not recieve full speeds or should I wait until Monday to see if it's normal (10th day) before I start enquiring further into this?

Jake, it would be good if you could post your line stats which you will get from your HomeHub2.  That would at least inform us of your present download & upload sync speeds, noise margins and attenuation margins.  From there forum members and the forum moderators would be able to give you more targetted advice regarding your line and possible/potential line saync speeds and what speeds you could/should expect.

Kind regards... Tom

BT Infinity2:
0 Ratings
JakeBeast
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Thanks for the quick reply, how should I go about doing this?
0 Ratings