cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adrian109
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Switched from Sky Fibre to BT Infinity 1 today - still no internet!!

Go to solution
Hi,

Two weeks ago I placed an order for BT Infinity 1 and to switch from Sky Fibre service.

My activation date was today 18/10/2016 (Tuesday).

My old Sky service stopped working at 18:30 tonight. My existing telephone number which I request to keep is still working as expected.

I plugged in my BT Smart Hub (which arrived yesterday) into the same BT socket expecting the internet to be working via the BT Hub. However there appears to be no internet as the light on the hub stays solid orange.

I know that I'm suppose to wait as it can take up to midnight to complete the transfer.

But how likely is that seeing that no engineers will be working in the exchange now?!

My worry is that it still wont be working in the morning when my wife is due to be working from.home using the same internet connection - looks like I'm going to get earache!! 😣
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Switched from Sky Fibre to BT Infinity 1 today - still no internet!!

Go to solution

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Is your BT Retail phone line working? Try calling 150 and see if you get a BT or Sky announcement?

Your Sky fibre line has to be ceased first, then a task issued to provide BT Infinity, assuming that there is not a waiting list on the cabinet.

Its not just a simple swap.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
The work required is done in the cabinet.

It's likely your sky service stopped as your circuit was ceased from their radius servers.

Can you run this checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com for your address please (not the postcode checker). Your telephone number being so new is unlikely to be recognised just yet. Please post up the results.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution
There are also software routing changes that have to be carried out also
0 Ratings
adrian109
Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Screenshot_20161018-214636.png

0 Ratings
adrian109
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Also not received anything from BT to say my service has been activated. Although that might be due to me having no internet and/ or a mobile phone signal which is rubbish and intermittent at best. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Did you dial 150  as I suggested, to see what announcement you get? Broadband cannot be provided until your BT Retail line is active, as it may still be with Sky.

0 Ratings
adrian109
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution
Just dialed 150 from my landline. It was answered by a nice automated scottish lady saying "Thank you for calling BT".

So it looks like my BT landline and phone number have transferred from Sky to BT, it's just my broadband which works with neither provider and have no internet for the last 4 hours.
0 Ratings
adrian109
Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
Before I placed my order with BT there was no capacity on my cabinet so I wasn't able to place an order for BT Infinity as the website would not accept any Infinity orders at that time.

Soon as the BT Checker showed that there was availability back in the cabinet I went onto the BT website and it then allowed me to place an order for Infinity. That was about 2 weeks ago and I was given and activation date of today 18/10/2016. BT Checker still shows the cabinet has availability.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution
Strange. You need to speak to BT in the morning to find out what's going on with the order.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings