cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Switched to BT, now getting really slow speeds

Hi, I moved to BT yesterday from EE. I've noticed that since the switch over, my speed has fallen drastically. Whilst I didn't check speeds on the old EE connection (it was running fine with multiple devices logged in throughout peak times & I never had cause to check), it was definitely much quicker. Now I'm on BT, I can't download anything, or watch video on demand. I've even taken to checking all my e-mail on my iPhone because outlook seems to take forever now. I've done a speed check, and I'm getting 0.24MB wired, 0.20 wireless (next to router) and 0.18 wireless in another room. This was without any other device connected. Can anyone think of any reason for the dramatic fall in service from switching broadband provider and anything I can do to fix it? To save time, I'll mention that my phone socket does not have a test port. Also, in case this does not pan out, does anyone know if there is a 'cooling off period' in which I can cancel and return BT's router? Thanks, Harry
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Switched to BT, now getting really slow speeds

your cancellation will be chargeable as right to free cancellation ends once the service goes live
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Hi,

Connection stats:

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 01:23:02
Downstream: 3.063 Mbps
Upstream: 1.043 Mbps

BT Speedtester currently saying: "We haven't been able to complete the speed test at this time. This may be due to a problem with the speed tester, or your line may be running very slowly." See my original post for the speedtest.net results.

Phone socket is the old one. ASDL filter set up correctly and nothing plugged into any other extensions (during test or in normal use).

I'll also mention that I'm posting on my laptop using my iphone as a hotspot because the broadband isn't actually loading the forums at all right now.

Cheers,

Harry

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Have you tested the connection wired?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Hi, 

Thanks for replying. ASDL Stats have been posted. As already stated, I can't use BT's speed tester as internet is too slow to load it (exact error message in earlier post). 

Quiet line test seems OK to me. 

Here's the noise and line rate:

23:07:46, 13 Aug. ( 81.060000) DSL noise margin: 5.80 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream

23:07:45, 13 Aug. ( 80.240000) DSL line rate: 1067 Kbps upstream, 3136 Kbps downstream

Thanks,

Harry

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Really need to try btspeedtester again as it should work with your 3 mb connection speed

can you enter your phone number and post results. Remember to delete your number.   https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

the BT speedtest should have no problems with the connection speed you have
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Hi, 

I have completed the whole speed test (the normal bt speed test is still giving the same error message about the speed being too low). Again, this was performed with ethernet connection with no other devices connected:

Download speed (Mbps): 0.10

Upload speed (Mbps): 0.90

Ping latency (ms): 108.88

The ASDL checker results are below: 

asdl checker.png

Any help in getting this sped up would be greatly appreciated. 

Harry

0 Ratings