cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 14

Switched to BT...now on adsl1 not adsl2?!

Hello, I have just been on the phone to BT for well over an hour (mostly on hold) and have got nowhere with this, so thought I'd try here!

To cut a long story short, I live fairly out in the sticks, I know I will never have a good download speed (until infinity) but my upload speed for the last 2 years has been 1mb, I need a good upload speed for my work and my gaming! Before this my line was horrendous for errors and my router would discconect continuously (and my speed dropped to 0.1mb all the time as a result). So I was upgraded by my last isp to adsl2+, no more errors, no more disconnects, 1mb upload speed...great!

Now I switched to BT today and I am on the same download speed of around 3.5mb but my upload speed (sync) is capped at the good old 448kb! I have spoken to several BT tech people most of whom had never heard of adsl or adsl2+, and they all assured me I cannot possibly be on a faster upload speed than 448kb.

I want to know a couple of things, firstly is there any chance I will automatically get onto adsl2+ after a few days of the 10 day training period? If not can I be forced onto it somehow after this period by someone at bt who knows what I am actually talking about? And if I can't get adsl2 in any case from BT, surely i should be allowed to cancel my contract, as the website clearly says the package allows for up to 16mb download (which isn't physically possible with adsl 8mb max) so surely it is misleading and mis-selling??

Thanks for any advice

James

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Message 2 of 14

Re: Switched to BT...now on adsl1 not adsl2?!

I should have added (though its probably obvious) that obviously the exchange is adsl2+ ready and has been for some time, and a check on the BT wholesale speed /availability checker shows I can get adsl2+ on my line (same download speed as adsl max of 1-4mb).
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 14

Hi mastodona7x,

There may be a reason why BT have changed your modulation to ADSLMax. 

1) are you connected to master or test socket?

2) Can you please run a BT speed test http://speedtester.bt.com (not beta version)

3) is there any noise on your line. dial 17070 option2 from landline. should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phone.

4) please post adsl line statistics

ADSL Line Stats Help

If you have a BT Home Hub like the one below...

Then:

1) Go to http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home

2) click Settings

3) Click Advanced Settings

4) Click Broadband

5) Click Connection or sometimes called ADSL (see picture Below)

adslconnection.png

The direct Address is http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9116 (for bthomehub3)

Im on a 5km long line and have been upgraded to BTw's 21cn network but kept on ADSLMax due to line condition and line length.

cheers,

James

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 14

Hi jac_95, thanks for the quick reply. That speed test wants me to install java but I have done enough speed tests to know I am getting around 3.4mb download and (now) 0.36mb upload capped...I KNOW my line was better on adsl2+ because until yesterday I was on it..I have the homehub 3 , my line isn't too noisey but there are problems with the line and always has been, it was a brand new line and a couple of years ago I must have had 20 different BT engineers try (and fail) to properly fix the problems. However my old ISP (who I am already missing greatly) put me on adsl2+ and all my problems were fixed, but most importantly, 1mb upload speed!!

All I need to know is can I be put on adsl2+ just for the better upload speed. I really hate BT's line management stuff and I know in a few days I am going to be in that nightmare 0.1mb speed situation again. Why did I change to BT?! 😞

router stats:
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 04:30:22
Downstream: 3.844 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 7.0 dB / 17.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 53.3 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 18.8 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 46766 / 27
CRC Events (Down/Up): 1017 / 11
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 2923 / 16
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 607 / 22

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

did you only join bt yesterday and therefore still in the 10 day training period?  I presume you checked that the exchnage is 21Cn enabled from your comments as your previous ISP may well have been an LLU provider

as you say if you were on adls2 then conenction speed would be about the same but upload would be faster.  It's unusual for 21CN to be more stable than adslmax due to the aggressive system on noise on 21CN

are you conencted to test or master socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 14

Hi,

with your line attenuation of 53.3 dB, your line is about 3.8km long.

On ADSLMax your download speed on a good line would be around 3500-4128kbps

On ADSL2+ your download speed on a good line would be around 3810-4320kbps

However ADSL2+ is more agressive to any noise on your line, so if your on a long line then it can get very unstable on ADSL2/2+.

ADSL2+ allows speeds of upto 20mb however the further away from the exchange the slower the speeds get.

The same with ADSLMax which is upto 8mb however the further away from the exchange the slower the speeds get.

If you were on a LLU (unbundled) provider they can use their own equipment in the exchange. You can check here if BT have upgraded your exchange to BT's 21cn network (ADSL2/2+) http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker 

Or check here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ enter your number and look for WBC on 21CN

Are you connected to master socket or test socket?

When did your BT Broadband service activate. If it was today then your in a 10day training period.

cheers,

James

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 14

Thanks guys, master socket I beleive, and yes only joined today so I am in training period as I said (or think I said) above, so that was one of my questions, would/could I automatically go up to adsl2+ during this period , i.e do all connections start on adsl1 then upgrade during the period?I did read somewhere if your estimated speed is less than 8mb they dont bother putting you on adsl2+ anyway, but I wondered if they could do it anyway if I requested it (to someone who understands what adsl2+ is, whcih most BT's support don't seem to 😞

Perhaps I was on LLU before and thats how I got it but either way I'd at least like to TRY adsl2+ I just can't seem to get through to someone who knows what I mean!

The exchange is definitely wbc on 21cn, its even infinity capable though its not quite reached out here yet (they've laid the cables but are in some legal battle with the local council who are trying to protect the beautiful scenery apparently (the cabinet is on a road its hardly postcard picture stuff!! Anyway thats a whole 'nother thing which will hopefully be resolved soon anyway (its the only reason i left my old ISP to join BT).,..I just dont want to be stuck with a really bad upload speed for weeks/months before infinity...

results...

• BT Wholesale ADSL
  • BT Wholesale ADSL Max
  • BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
  • BT Wholesale SDSL
  • BT FTTC
  • AOL LLU
  • Bulldog LLU
  • TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
  • Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
  • Tiscali LLU
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

if you only joined bt broadband today then I would go back to sales and complain that your exchange is 21CN enabled but you have been put on adslmax which is not the 'up to 20mb' connection that they advertise  08007830056

as you are on adslmax then you will not move automaticallty during your traing period

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

i agree with imjolly go back too sales your connection will not change to adsl 2+ after a training period as the connections are on different exchange equipment
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 14

Thanks guys, I don't want to cancel my contract or anything BUT like you say the website says 16mb (not 20mb for me but the point is the same!) that simply is not posisble on adsl max...I told them this and they said now the contract has started it is tough and I could only argue this point if I had signed up over the phone, not online, which makes NO SENSE on any level whatsoever...guess I'll be on the phone to India most of tomorrow then..groan...Smiley Sad

0 Ratings