Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Switching from Virgin Broadband to BT Infinity- Problems with Order

Go to solution

Hi,

I am currently a Virgin Broadband customer. I recently decided to shift to BT Infinity as BT was the only provider of Cable Broadband in my area. I placed my order on Saturday morning. I placed a provisional order as I did not have my MAC code and the executive on the phone informed me that I will be receiving an email that will ahve a link for me to input my MAC code once I had it. Subsequently , I got the MAC code from Virgin and input it into the link that was given to me in the email. I then scheduled an appointment for the 30th of August online. I did all this by Saturday afternoon.

Yesterday morning, as I randomly went to check my order status , I noticed that my appointment date had disappeared and instead I had the following message

"Your appointment is no longer required, as our engineer can connect your line without requiring access to your premises. The engineer will work to connect your line at the exchange."

When I called up BT, I was informed that while my phone line was on track, my Broadband order had been cancelled. The executive was unable to give me a clear reason. He claimed it had something to do with the fact that I had first placed the order and had then input my MAC code which he thought had led to some multiple orders being created and which automatically led to the order getting cancelled. He also claimed that he noticed that there was a "STOP" order from Virgin to BT which might also be a reason for this error. He suggested that the best course of action was for me to cancel the entire order complete and re-order the phone and broadband connection online and input my MAC code simultaneously. 

Hence I went ahead and cancelled the order and placed a new order for a phone and broadband from the BT website yesterday evening.  I chose the same appointment date as I originally had, 30th August. As exepcted, when I went to check the order today morning, I noticed that the appointment had again disappeared and had been replaced with the same message as before

"Your appointment is no longer required, as our engineer can connect your line without requiring access to your premises. The engineer will work to connect your line at the exchange."

I again called BT. This time the executive wasn't even sure why the appointment had been cancelled. All he could tell me was that there was a problem with my Broadband order and that BT was investigating this issue and will come back to me with a response either way in the next 48 hours. However, based on the experience I have had so far , I thought I might get a better idea on the forum rather than from BT.

The entire experience has left me extremely disturbed and extremely sceptical about the change. I am still keen to go ahead with it as I am quite keen to opt for Cable broadband. I have read through some of the stories here and noticed people losing access to internet for nearly 4 weeks. Hence I was wondering if someone could throw some light on some of the questions I had

1. Has anyone faced a similar problem while porting before. Is this issue familiar to any of you and if so did you ever find out the reason for this and how did BT go about resolving it?
2. I am not keen to port my number as I don't use my landline. The only reason I am porting my number is to ensure I dont lose access to Internet during my changeover. However, I am now seriously sceptical about whether I might actually be able to change over without losing access to my internet.  Do you think it might be advisable to just cancel my Virgin Broadband and Phone connection and opt for a new connection with BT? I would rather stay without internet for a week or so rather than 4 weeks.

Sorry for the long post but any info will be really helpful.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Switching from Virgin Broadband to BT Infinity- Problems with Order

Go to solution
sometimes you have to have a bt phone line before you can order infinity
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

BT was the only provider of Cable Broadband in my area  Are you sure?   All the FTTC providers share Openreach infrastructure, and it is unusual for one to go live when the others don't.   Have you checked Sky, PlusNet, John Lewis?  They might have similar rules about phone lines, but will probably tell you as part of the order process.   Maybe you are too far down the BT route now anyway?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi SJTP, Yes i did check Virgin and Sky before I considered BT. Did not look at John Lewis or Plusnet. Thanks. Looks like both these providers are also available in my area. Thanks for suggesting these names. I might possibly look into these options in my area . I guess in case I do not get a convincing answer from BT by thursday then I will go ahead and cancel the order and consider these two options, espcially considering plus net give me a broadband only option.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I don't know how up to date this has been kept, but https://spreadsheets0.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AquiMM6uTUUzdHl4RGRZcnE1WWw0SVlLcVlzQWZuVFE&ou... may be useful.  I think most of the other suppliers are significantly more expensive, especially if you want significant usage limits.

b.t.w. PlusNet is actually owned by BY, but kept fairly independant.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

As expected, I get a call from BT today indicating that they will first have to activate my phone line and will only then be able to place a broadband order on the 31st. After all the horror stories I have read here, I am seriously sceptical about whether to still go ahead with this.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

thanks for this sjtp. i think i will have to consider alternate options but just not sure if they will be any better.

0 Ratings