Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Switching from bt modem to a faster one

Hello,

I have a superfast ADSL  BT line at home. The house has two floors. Unfortunately the internet socket in my home i don't know why is upstairs so the BT tecnician installed there the modem. Therefore is from there that the signal is coming also to the part of house where i live more and i keep the pc, the dining room downstairs. Very often, although the line via cable (i bought an adaptor via wires that takes internet down) is very good, the wireles is quaite crappy. I guess the reason behing can be two. The first the modem is upstairs, so not close, the second is that as a friend of mine told me the modem provided by bt is not so performing so he suggested me to buy a by far more powerful and expensive.

Is it possible to change the router although you remain in BT?

Thank you

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Switching from bt modem to a faster one

you can use any router you wish with BT I assume you are using Infinity (fibre) if that is the case it needs to be a VDSL compatible however you may not see much difference in wireless as wireless can perform differently in each house
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

unless you have a modem and separate router  you would need to make sure that it is a new router/vdsl modem combined.  if you do have a separate modem then any good router will do

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mrblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Thank you for answering. I have Infinity 2 and a BT Home Hub5, and i would like to substitute with ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router

edited by mod

Possible? I am aware of course that i will have to resetup all my port forwarding framework unfortunately...

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

That device is just a router, it will not work without a separate modem as well. You would be better getting a combined vdsl modem/ router. Check for Asus dsl series boxes.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 6 of 12

The Asus DSL-AC68U that I have works just fine, but not cheap!

0 Ratings
mrblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

My problem is that i don't know why the socket for internet in my home is placed upstairs in the second floor. Therefore Bt technician placed there (at the second floor in a little storage room) a white modem and the wifi router. At the moment i took down the line through wall wires internet by a TP Link Adaptor and i connected pc through cable, so i don't use white modem anymore. I only use the BT Home  Hub that i guess is a Router only.

The problem is of course that being the wifi router upstairs the signal downstairs, where i spend 90% of my time, is often very weak. I need a more powerful wifi router.

Now do you think i could change that with  "ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless Router" that is supposed to be by far the most powerful router of Asus?

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 8 of 12

The solution to your problem would be to use Powerline adaptors to bring an ethernet connection downstairs - that maybe what you're doing with the TP-Link adaptor you refer to - and then have a wireless access point connected at the downstairs end to provide your wifi. You don't need a particulary powerfull router to do that as it's only servicing downstairs.

The Asus you refer to is rather an overkill for this I'd have thought.

Unless you need the AC provided speeds then an Asus RT-N66U at about £80 cheaper would work well, if you wanted to stick with the Asus line. I know from my experience with this one that it works well as an access point.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@mrblue you seem to be imprecise with your terminology which makes it difficult to understand your setup. The home hub is a combined vdsl modem and router and will work with infinity as a standalone box. The white openreach box is purely a modem and can be used in conjunction with either an Asus router or the home hub ( working purely as a router). Alternatively you can use an Asus combined modem router without using the openreach modem. Whichever device you choose, can also be used in conjunction with power line adapters to extend the Ethernet signal or WiFi.
0 Ratings
mrblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Yes you are right. Sorry for being imprecise, i actually am using powerlink adaptors. 

Tonight i will try to simply take down the Hub5, connect it to the powerlink downstairs, then connect my pc not to the powerlink directly but to the hub5 (that is wifi as well). If it works signal wifi should be by far more intense and maybe i even don't need to buy the powerful Asus.

RE modem router set up. Honestly i don't know why the BT tecnician left and connected both the open reach modem AND the hub5 (that is both modem and router) when he could have left and connected only the hub5, that is how i have it connected now. The white open reach modem is totally useless.

0 Ratings