cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrgeorge89
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Switching from talk talk problem

Hello. Used to be with talk talk but contract ran out approx 1 month ago and they put my price up so decided to change. Found a good deal on moneysavingexpert so thought I'd join BT.

Anyway... been 2 weeks with no Internet and activation date was today... received router all installed correctly waited until 12 but still no service.

Orange light and blinking red broadband light.

Phone line worked perfectly fine this morning although this afternoon and still... have no dial tone on phone and the line just seems dead... BT now saying there's a fault on the line and will be fixed Friday! ?

How is that possible when the line was perfectly fine this morning?!

Double checked all wired everything... BT think it's a problem with my line although I used the phone this morning (I think maybe before there back end change over).

I thought with cancelling talk talk and signing up with BT 2 3 weeks ago that would be more than enough time to get things changed over?!

Help please driving me mad with no landline and broadband lkl
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Switching from talk talk problem

Welcome to this user forum. @mrgeorge89

Was it normal broadband or BT Infinity that you ordered?

Is your phone still not working?

TalkTalk are an LLU (Local Line Unbundling) provider. They simply rent the copper line from Openreach, and connect their own equipment to it.

When you leave TalkTalk, the line is released back to Openreach, and the TalkTalk equipment is disconnected.

Complications can arise if you are trying to port your existing number over to BT Retail, as it depends on who originally owned that number, TalkTalk or BT Retail.

0 Ratings
mrgeorge89
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Hi, still not working. It's normal BT broadband and porting the number I had with talk talk over... still no dial tone...
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@mrgeorge89 wrote:
Hi, still not working. It's normal BT broadband and porting the number I had with talk talk over... still no dial tone...

It will be the number port that is causing the issue, as Talk Talk have their own range of numbers which may not appear on the local BT exchange. This can take ages to sort out, and sometimes its not possible at all.

If you had not wanted to port your number over, then it would have been much quicker.

The initial dial tone you got, would have been from a stopped BT line, after the Talk Talk equipment was removed, and you were connected to the BT exchange.

The broadband task cannot even be issued until you have a working BT Retail phone line.

Porting from an LLU provider to BT Retail, seems to cause quite a few problems judging by the number of forum posts.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 5 of 7

Hi @mrgeorge89,

I'm sorry you've been left without service after switching to BT. It does sound like sound like something has gone with the number port. I'll be able to take a look at what is happening with your order. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
mrgeorge89
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Oh God that sounds a right palarva if I would have known that I would have rather had a different number... I've PM'd you Paddy
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 7 of 7

Hi @mrgeorge89 Is everything working OK now? If not then I sent you an email yesterday so please reply to that and I'll be happy to help.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings