Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canexus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Switching nightmare from Sky

Go to solution

My switch from Sky to BT Infinity has turned somewhat into a saga and nightmare.  It goes something like this:

Tues 25th Nov

BT assures me that the service will go live at 12am, so far so good

Wed 26th Nov

Broadband obviously not connected.  In the morning BT assures me that it will be live at 12am. By the afternoon, as a result of me calling to check, it now appears there is a fault on the line. They cannot get an engineer out until Friday because they found out so late. Was given the usual "BT openreach can only be booked 2 days later". Wonder what would happen if I didn't call.

Thurs 27th Nov

Contacted BT to check on engineer.  Was told that engineer was required as previously discussed however I would not need to be at home.  Told specifically that they were just doing a few things at the exchange.  Cancelled my 1/2 day off to go to work.

Friday 28th Nov

Still no broadband.  Contacted by BT engineer first thing in the morning on the way to work and told he was waiting outside my house. He told me to rebook. Contacted BT, and asked for someone to come on weekend to sort it out.  Was told BT openreach does not work on weekends and "BT openreach can only be booked 2 days later". 

Monday 1 Dec

Still no broadband.  BT engineer came did some work on the line and went, and told me that BT had not provided him with BT infinity details.  Contacted BT again.  I am told I need an engineer again, and "BT openreach can only be booked 2 days later".  Now I have to wait till wednesday and I have very little faith in matters getting resolved.

In hindsight, should have stayed with Sky where everything was working properly. I still don't understand how a switch could go so horribly wrong. Do BT openreach only work weekdays? Surely something can be done when things go so horribly wrong.  Horribly upset with customer service, where I am given the standard "please wait another 2 days for a booking". Farming customer service off to another country doesn't seem to help either as I get the standard empathy line "I know how you are feeling sir", and have to explain the whole situation from scratch once again.

So now, I am at the stage where I don't know what to do, and don't feel like I am getting matters resolved.  I feel I am too small a customer to get noticed.  Is it too late to cancel?  Has anyone had any similar experiences in switching?

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Switching nightmare from Sky

Go to solution

You can cancel at anytime up until the service goes live.

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
canexus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution
Thanks. That is slightly problematic with cancellation as I've received emails and texts telling me it's live.

Does BT open reach have an escalation procedure?
0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

Hi Canexus,

I would like to take a look at your order to see why it has been delayed. Please could you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
canexus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

Surprise surprise, my 8am to 1pm appointment has now come and gone, and still no broadband.

This time, the engineer didn't turn up.  This is after BT convinced me on monday night, to book it in for wednesday 3rd instead of tuesday 2nd because that way, we can ensure a BT engineer does really turn up at my door. 

This is getting ridiculous given I had Sky working perfectly fine at my property.  This is getting extremely stressful as I have had to spend my entire mobile phone balance on waiting for BT, pay for additional data usage on the mobile, and still no one can offer me a solution.

What can I do next? Can I complain to Ofcom? 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

You can complain to Ofcom but it will do you no good. They do not deal with individual complaints. If you want to complain you need to complain to BT, go through their complaints procedure and if it is not resolved go to deadlock then take your complaint to the Ombudsman.

Did you take up the offer of help and reply to the moderator. If you did they will normally contact you personally and deal with your complaint until it is resolved.

0 Ratings
canexus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

I was since told to wait till 2pm as there were some delays with BT openreach. Fine, I told me wife to pay 20 quid and put kids in extended hours for childcare and wait for BT openreach.  Called at 2.40pm and was told that the BT engineer fixed everything at the exchange and it should all be working.  So what happened to the home visit to sort everything out?  What's more, broadband is still not working and am told that I need another engineer appointment in two days time to solve what should have been solved today!!!!!!

Also, I was promised several calls. Once from last week who said customer care will call on tuesday night to make sure everything was working. Was also promised a call by one of the managers today at 1pm to make sure everything was working.  I realise this is a tactic to get you off the phone, as I have received none of these calls.

Help!!! Exasperated, frustrated, upset, stressed out! Nightmare continues!

Can I complain to the communications ombudsman??

Thanks gg, I did take up the offer of help.  I was told that they are unable to help as it has already been escalated.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10789/~/how-do-i-contact-bt-to-make-a-complaint%3F
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
canexus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

Thank you Ray. 

I've contacted them last week, and they told me there is no specific complaints department.  All they can do is log a complaint - which is what I have done.  I've been offered account managers who look after the case, but they all seem to forget about the case once they hang up the call.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution
That link should explain all you need to know about who to complain to, who to follow it up with and who to talk to if you're unhappy with the final outcome of your complaint.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings