cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Switching service - cancelled order

I'm hoping that someone with experience of BT's switching service can help us with a problem of our order being cancelled by BT. 

We decided to move all our services to BT from Sky on the 25th May after we had problems with Sky broadband and as a coincidence a BT sales person ringing with a good deal for all our services. The salesman told us we had to do nothing in respect of the phoneline and broadband as he would deal with it through the switching service. The only thing we had to do was to cancel our sky tv with sky directly which we did on the 26th May.

We received a phone message today to say that our order has been cancelled because there is a stop on our line and this must be removed by us through Sky in order that our order can be progressed.

I phoned sky and explained this to them. They told me that our account shows 'in progress pending cease on 09/06' so I asked if this was normal for the system to say this when switching providers. I was told it was perfectly normal and that BT would pick up the service on the 9th.

I then spoke to BT who checked that status of the order and told me the talk and broadband order had failed and was cancelled because Sky had put a cease on the line and that they would be unable to process a new order until the cease was removed or until after the 9th and that it would take 14 days from then to process my new order. They told me that they would now request a cancellation of the transfer and that I needed to contact Sky to cancel the transfer directly wth them.

I spoke to Sky and explained the situation and asked them to cancel the transfer to which they told me they are not in a position to cancel the transfer even if they wanted to because BT are the only ones who can cancel the request. They also told me that their provisioning department showed the transfer was set-up correctly expect for the phone number was blank indicating that BT had only requested the line transfer and not the number as well.

I got back onto BT and explained this and was told that basically I was being told incorrect information and that their order with Openreach shows the number was requested along with the transfer of the line and broadband. They also said they knew for a fact that Sky can cancel the cease request and turn it into a tranfer. They told me that I need to make Sky cancel the transfer request before I can then re-order all the services with them.

In the interim I now find that after the first call to BT the gentleman I spoke to has cancelled the entire order so now I dont have tv either and I've cancelled that with Sky as well.

Who is telling the truth and how on earth do I get to progress an order with BT. I don't event know if I have an order with BT any more. 

Hope this makes sense because it doesn't to me.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Switching service - cancelled order

There has to be a minimum 10 day waiting period when switching providers, this is an Ofcom requirement which was introduced to reduce the incidence of "slamming". This is when another provider tries to take over your line without your permission.

It allows time for the account holder to put a stop to the transfer by calling their existing provider, who can then reconnect the service.

In your case its the delay between Sky cancelling your service, and the day that BT can take over it.

If you place your order with BT on the 9th June, it should progress as normal and you should be connected within 14 days.

When switching providers, you only need to contact the provider you are moving to, as they are responsible for arranging the transfer, and contacting your old provider.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 24

Hi @morgallo and welcome.

It sounds like your current provider, Sky, has put a cease on all your services instead of the tv package alone which might explain where the cease order set for the 09/06 has arisen. @Keith_Beddoe is correct. Once you've placed the new order it will take up to 14 days to get connected.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Hi @DavidM and @Keith_Beddoe, thanks for coming back to me. With the Sky TV cancellation that is due to cease on the 27th June so I'm not sure why that should affect the outcome. When I first checked the order process through track your order it showed the order had been placed on the 25th May and then also on the 25th May it showed the phone and broadband as being cancelled (we've cancelled your order). I assumed this was that they had cancelled the sky talk and broadband and the order tracking was just letting us know. This was showing as the 25th May the day before we contacted sky to ask for the tv services to be ceased so the only contact with sky at that stage on the 25th was direct from BT requesting to take over the line and phone number.

This is what is confusing and annoying because it was an automatic system that made the request and skys automated systems picked it up because they sent an automated email on the 25th to say they were sorry we were leaving their broadband service and notifying us of the cancellation of the service.

We only contacted sky to cancel the tv service on the 26th, the day after we had placed the order with BT and the day after the tracking shows the order to be cancelled.

BT say that they tried to process the tranfer on the 25th and that failed due to the stop/cease on the line. A subsequent try also failed.

The problem now is that both parties say they have done things correctly and there problem is with the other provider which leaves us in a position whereby we loose our telephone and broadband on the 9th and then have to wait 14days for the new service from BT. With teenage kids who live on the internet that will be a nightmare plus a huge inconvenience. I don't understand because if this was electricity switching, the provider, as far as I'm aware, would never leave you without electicity for 14days.

If no-one can say who is at fault and tell us what needs to be done what are we going to do?

Surely there must be a team at BT who can talk to a team at Sky and say this process has gone wrong in this case so this is what we need to do to get it back on track. Technical departments do it all the time to talk to other IT departments to work and resolve the problem. I could get it sorted if someone just told me exactly what needed to be done.

At this stage my wife is saying that if it can't be resolved then we just go back to sky. For my part that's not really a solution because we'd be missing out on a better service at a better price because neither service provider seems willing to help.

My point is that surely BT should get in there and sort out the problem on our behalf with Sky so that we can move to them.

Any ideas on how we get this sorted?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 24

Thanks for clearing that up @morgallo

I think we need to take a closer look at this for you. Can you send me over the details including any order reference numbers you have? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 24

If you don't get this resolved in the next couple of days by a helpful mod then, if I were you I would phone Sky and tell them you have changed your mind and are staying with sky broadband and you want cease of line removed. If not then the 9th will come around very quickly and in my experience who knows how long Bt will take to set your phone and Internet back up, which will be 14 days minimum possibly much longer
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Hi All

Here's an update which unfortunatly does not bring us any closer to getting an order or service.

After further chasing of BT yesterday evening because a promised phone call was not received, a customer service advisor very kindly escalated our case to a case handler. The case handler has rung my wife today and again said there is nothing that BT can do since sky have put a cease on the line. This is despite BT cancelling the order so effectively the switch should not be taking place and the whole thing should go back to the way it was. The case handler will ring back on monday to place a re-order presuming that we have managed to pursuade sky to cancel the request.

Sky still say there is nothing that can be done as BT has to cancel the request.

I've now checked with Ofcom who told me that this is a provider led switch so for there to be a cease (and reporvision) on the line then something must have gone wrong with the instruction and that since it is a provider led process bt must work with open reach and sky to resolve the issue as there is nothing that we as the customer can do to resolve the problem.

Further to this I've also checked on the two processes and the only time a cease and reprovide should be used is when switching from cable to copper line/fibre and the other was around i.e. a move to or from Virgin.

We currently have normal broadband through the phone line and are moving to fibre broadband but the fibre is to the cabinet and not to the house so again it is a provider led switch.

Can someone at BT take ownership of this problem and get it resolved. They placed the order with open reach so they can cancel it. Cancelling it will also tell sky to cancel it.

BT can then place the fresh order and make sure that it is provisioned correctly since at the end of the day sky will effectvely have nothng to do with it since open reach makes the changes at the exchange.

Is this too much to ask or is what I'm saying completely wrong?

@davgille7 Hope I don't have to go back to sky but it may be the only option.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

Use the link David M has posted for you the mod team will own your problem until fully resolved and provide a single point of contact in the UK
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

@john46 Thanks for letting me know, I hadn't realised that was the case. I have messaged @DavidM yesterday via contact the moderators and spoken to the case manager today. Hopefully everything will now get resolved.

Thanks again to everyone who has commented.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Further update on our pain!! In order to get the cease removed from our line we had to wait for the 7th June and then a Sky technician phones me and very kindly processed the cancellation. Well done sky.

Michelle phoned my wife on the 10th and processed a new order for activation on the 24th June. Had to ring her back because Movies and International Friends and family was not on the new order but was on the original. Was told that it can't be added to the order and would have to wait until the 27th June to add it. Our original sky tv package doesn't finish until the 27th so I could live with that.

So I've been checking on the order tracking each day since the 10th and everythign was okay until yesteday when I check and again the broadband and phone has been cancelled. Presumably because of the cease on the line. 

We have not even spoken to sky this time so it is all to do with the BT order system and the switching.

I've left a message for Michelle to contact me but nothing as of yet.

I've trawled through the boards and seen others with this problem of a cease on the line causing their order to be cancelled whithout notification.

We were promised this time that the order would be closely monitored and any problems recitfied so that we would not have to worry.

None of this has happened. Offcom have said the onus is on BT as the receiving provider to make sure that the switch happens without a hitch.

The only solution offered by BT so far is to allow the line to be ceased and then they will place an order which will take 14days to complete. That is not a switching service that's and cancel and new order process.

Can someone please take ownership of this and speak to the right people at openreach to find out what the issue is and get it resolved. Can someone also take the responsibility of keeping us informed of what is going on instead of just expecting us to live without tv and internet for 14 days once out sky telephone and broadband finishes on the 24th.

0 Ratings