cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VanMildert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

Sync speed gradually reducing

Using Home Hub 4, sync speed has reduced from approx 17MBps to a current value of 10.4MBps over a period of about 4 months. I have tested house telephone wiring impact and established it makes very little difference. During this period there have been no additions to the devices used within the home. Any ideas why this drop should have occurred would be appreciated

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Sync speed gradually reducing

Welcome to this forum.

Probably increased crosstalk from other new broadband circuits, especially Infinity.

These reduce the number and quality of the available tone frequencies needed to carry the broadband signal.

If you look in the home hub event logs, you should be able to see what the current noise margin is, just after you restart the home hub.

Generally a noise margin of 6dB is typical.

Sometimes, restarting the home hub early in the morning, can result in a higher synch speed.

This page has a lot of info on it, especially the bit by RogerB.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/speed_drop.html

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 25

the log entries should look like this

19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
VanMildert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Thanks.

I will check out the noise level and give the early morning reset a try

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

I know when I used to reset my router I found about lunchtime was best as noise margin was usually at highest giving better scope for faster speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
VanMildert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 25

Reset my hub this morning and here are the values from the log:

07:53:35, 23 Feb.

( 98.070000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 15.10 dB downstream

07:53:34, 23 Feb.

( 97.050000) DSL line rate: 1167 Kbps upstream, 10391 Kbps downstream

Are these acceptable?

How can I check if a device within the house is having an impact on the speed?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 25

your noise margin is very high at 15.1db as normal is about 6db and for some with very good line it can be 3db.  this high noise margin is the reason for the lower speed

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone  if cordless then dull hum normal

are you connected to test socket with new filter?  if not is it possible to connect to test socket especially if you have extension sockets which may be causing a problem

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 25

Due to all the disconnections / restarts of your hub you are now in a banded profile you need to maintain a stable connection for 3/5 days and you will start to lift out of the banding automatically
0 Ratings