Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Synced but no PPP

Go to solution

Before I call BT back i want to check one or two things on here.

Since the early hours I've had no internet connection. The Huawei modem (which I've unlocked) is obviously synced and "talking" to the DSLAM as I can see the line rate, SNR and so on but my router, Linksys WRT320N, cannot establish a connection. It simply states "Can not obtain an IP from PPPoE"

I've spoken to India once already who've come out with all sorts of interesting ideas;

1, For the last 18 months I've used bthomehub@btbroadband.com as the username, "BT" as the password and PPPoE as connection type.

India insist I should be using firstname.lastname@btbroadband.com and PPPoA as the connection type.

2, India refused to carry out any checks as I've binned the abysmal HH3 and replaced it with something that fits my needs.

Can someone confirm that I've been using the correct username/password/connection type and/or advise me on how to seek assistance without finding a HH3?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Synced but no PPP

Go to solution

Yes, you're correct. Also try bt_test@startup_domain and speedtest@speedtest_domain.

Can't you try the HH3?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Cheers for the speedy reply Ray.

Both of those options result in the same - "Can not get an IP address from PPPoE"

Unfortunately I've lent my HH3 to as friend but I could collect it tonight it absolutely necerssary. I'd prefer to try and resolve the issue without making a journey however.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Got my infinity installed today, of which took a bit of fiddling to get my WRT160N talking to the network over pppoe - turns out I had to enter a password of 'password' into the password field as well as set domain to btinternet.com on the WAN setup page.

Screenshot of the setup on mines> http://puu.sh/1OSiK

Not sure if doing the same as I will help you or not, worth a shot! 🙂

-Stu

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

It's back up and running. 

The problem turned out to be LAN1 on the Huawei modem. I could access the admin/status page via LAN2 without any issue but there must be an issue with the LAN1 socket as I had to plug in/unplug the ethernet cable about a dozen times before it would be recognised.

It's an early revision modem so hopefully BT will replace it with a newer revision. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

What version is it? Early ones were meant to be replaced anyway and they sent people specifically to do that. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

took a bit of fiddling to get my WRT160N talking to the network over pppoe

The BT side is pretty lenient about what username to use: I seem to remember that practically anything with '@btbroadband.com' or '@btinternet.com' will work.

It is even more lenient about password, allowing anything or nothing.  However, some routers won't allow a completely empty password, so 'bt' or 'password' are common placebos.

0 Ratings