cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sionglaze
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Synology NAS and HH5 - transferring files within network causes HH to drop out

I have just bought a Synology NAS DS216J. Connected perfectly to HH5 and can access it easily across the network on WiFi.

However, when I have begun to transfer large files (MacBook Pro over AC WiFi), the router will cut out, cycle as if it's been reset then connect again. There is limit on the amount of file I've transferred before this happens. 

I have the NAS on a Static IP assigned by itself outside the DHCP range of the HH. I thought turning off IPv6 on the HH had fixed it - managed to transfer 50GB with no problems. But have just tried opening a music file, and the route has reset again.

Synology have looked at the Log files and state that there is no issue with the NAS at all. NAS and HH are up-to-date. Connecting via SMB3.

I had read about Port Forwarding, but had understood this to apply to external access, which is not something I am currently trying to do. MTU is set to 1500, and I have not had this issue prior to connecting the NAS.

Would appreciate any advice!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Synology NAS and HH5 - transferring files within network causes HH to drop out

Welcome to this user forum.

Its most likely that the internal buffer on the home hub cannot keep up with the wireless traffic possibly because of errors on the wireless link forcing re-transmission. If the buffer overflows, it will crash the home hub.

You can try other wireless channels, as there are  a choice of 13 channels, and you may find one with less errors, channel 13 is usually quite good.

Really the best option is to just use Ethernet connections, or perhaps buy your router with a better wireless performance.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 3 of 5

Re: Synology NAS and HH5 - transferring files within network causes HH to drop out

@Keith_Beddoe writes:

> "If the buffer overflows, it will crash the home hub."

Not sure if anyone is maintaining an HH6 faults list for feeding back to developers, but that's a terrible bug.  Buffers hitting their endstops constitute completely normal operation, that's what buffers are for, and equipment has no business crashing when that happens.  Very basic programming fault.

Is there a wiki or other shared page where we can attach such info for the attention of BT staff?

0 Ratings
sionglaze
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Many thanks to both of you for your advice.

I have tried changing to the least used channel and despite being a little more stable, the drop outs still occur.

Given all the comments it seems a little ridiculous that this should be semi-expected behaviour - I will contact BT for a replacement.

Any other advice in the meantime would be appreciated!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

A replacement will make no difference. I would suggest getting your own router, or connecting your devices using Ethernet cable.

The other alternative would be to use a separate wireless access point plugged into an Ethernet port of the home hub, and connect your wireless devices to that. It would remove the loading on the home hub wireless.

Most wireless access points have proper flow control.

0 Ratings