Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sidepartings26
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

TL-WR1043ND BT INFINITY SETTINGS

Hi

I have BT Inifinity and replaced the Home Hub 3.0 which I don't have any longer with a TP Link TL-WR1043ND router.

It is connected properly and in the PPPoE settings I have:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

No Password

Connect on Demand - on at all times

Secondary Connection - Disabled

Security is WPA-PSK

The problem is that even though I make certain changes like force 11n mode the wireless is terrible in that it's always dropping out and doesn't stay at 300Mbps (it flicks to 20MHz even if channel width is set to 40MHz).

I can see these weird goings on using inSSIDER 2.0.

The thing is I replaced the Home Hub because the wireless behaviour was exactly the same.

I am good with all things IT except networking!! 

This router TL-WR1043ND has settings for practically everything that I could do I just don't know how to use them.

Can someone help me with setup for BT Inifnity e.g. I've read about MTU rates and DHCP etc on these forums but I don't understand it!!

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Jonny 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
sidepartings26
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: TL-WR1043ND BT INFINITY SETTINGS

PS When I say the wirelss is 'terrible' I don't mean the signal strength, I mean the behaviour!

0 Ratings
proterra
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

could it be that you have interference from other things like , mobiles, DECT Phones. Neighbours wireless network. If its happened with 2 routers I would suspect outside interferance
0 Ratings
Cleric
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

@proterra wrote:
could it be that you have interference from other things like , mobiles, DECT Phones. Neighbours wireless network. If its happened with 2 routers I would suspect outside interference

Indeed - it's worth downloading and using inSSIDer to see what channels are being used locally.

I've just booted mine up as visiting family today and I can see 14 other networks around me of which 6 are BT HomeHubs plus their associated BT Fon spots. The majority of which are using either channels 1 and 11.

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 5 of 8

considering on wireless N using 2 channels (40MHz spread) will tie up 60% of the avaliable frequency spread, so unless you have a router with a very powerful transmitter or there is nobody near you then you will not have a stable connection.

Dropping to 20MHz, ie a single channel does suggest interferrence and the router is swapping to a single channel to maintain the connection.

As said above there are dozens of devices that use the 2.4Ghz spectrum as well as Wi-Fi, even my central heating system uses it to communicate between the controller and the boiler and these devices will not show on any scan as they aren't wireless.

Your best bet is to drop down to a single wireless channel and go between 1 and 13 and see which one gives you the best signal.

0 Ratings
sidepartings26
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

I have been using inSSIDer. The problem is not necessariliy the connection. The [maximum] speed is always fast and inSSIDer shows a good strength. 

Even with my mobile right next to the router it's the same. The connection is brilliant and capable of huge speeds e.g. up to 65MBps in that particular case. BUT, the internet access cuts on/off all the time... that's the erratic behaviour I was referring to....

Not sure if I need to adjust the settings or something...

There is a cordless phone right next to the router. I tried turning it off completely and it didn't change anything if I recall. Maybe it is causing some interference though?

0 Ratings
sidepartings26
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I switched it to Channel 1 which is clear in inSSIDer.  RSSI is -58. I moved the [Panasonic KX-TG6521E] away further across the room - but it's a 1.9GHz phone anyway.  I set width fixed to 20MHz. Still the same problem - fast connection no internet/terrible internet speed...

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Using inssider only tells you what other wireless routers are out there not everything else.

I have 15 2.4 Ghz devices in my home and none of them will show up as they are not routers yet they would still interfere with a wireless signal.

Also signal strength is not the whole picture, it may be better to switch to a lower strength signal that may have a better signal to noise ratio, I used to have a very nice application that showed signal to noise ratios on wireless channels but I cannot find it.

It is all about experimentation and changing things about which can take a while but it may be the only thing you can do.

0 Ratings