Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

TP-Link Router with BT Infinity

Hello,

I have BT Infinity (FTTC) 

I reliase I probably couldn't completely get rid of the BT Home Hub because it has the modem in but could I disable the Wireless network and DHCP server on the Home Hub and just have a TP-Link router plugged into one of the BT Home Hub's eternet ports going into the TP-Link router's WAN port? And then I could have the TP-Link router do the routing and DHCP allocation and I could set the DNS server on the TP-Link router, then I could connect all my clients via Wireless and ethernet to the TP link and then that would work fine? This is the router I would like: TP-LINK Archer C2 AC750 

Thanks

Nicholas

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: TP-Link Router with BT Infinity

Yes, you could do that, but why not just get a VDSL modem/router and get rid of the Hub completely?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 7

As licquorice says.

I recently replaced my HH6 with a TP-Link Archer VR600 (combined modem and router) and am very happy with it.

p

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Okay, I'm on a limited budget though. How cheap are they? Also where can I get them? Is there any any particular type I have to get for it to work with BT Infinity (FTTC)?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the advice, I'm only a limited budget though. I guess I couldn't really get a good combined router for under £50? Does anyone know if the TP-Link Archer C2 is a worthy upgrade from the BT Home Hub 5? Also the I looked at a photo of the TP-Link router and it has an Internet port. Would connecting the HH with DHCP off and disabling Wi-Fi on the HH work because presumably the TP-Link router wouldn't have a Public IP address in this setup?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

You can get them from all the usual places. The very basic TP Link TD-W9970 is about £35, they then increase to about  £60 for 9980 and about £75 for a VR600. As long as it has a VDSL modem it will work with Infinity.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@nich5 wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I'm only a limited budget though. I guess I couldn't really get a good combined router for under £50? Does anyone know if the TP-Link Archer C2 is a worthy upgrade from the BT Home Hub 5? Also the I looked at a photo of the TP-Link router and it has an Internet port. Would connecting the HH with DHCP off and disabling Wi-Fi on the HH work because presumably the TP-Link router wouldn't have a Public IP address in this setup?

Thanks

Yes it will work, you will just be double natting if you connect LAN-WAN.

0 Ratings