Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisDick052
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

TP-Link modem to extend BT Hub wifi range

Go to solution

My kids cabin is too far from house for wifi. I have cable going to an old TP-Link TD-W8960N ADSL2+ wireless router which acts fine as a switch for a PlayStation and PC.

Can I use the TP modem's wireless to extend wifi on the same channel as the BT hub?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: TP-Link modem to extend BT Hub wifi range

Go to solution

You can but it would be better to use a different channel and SSID.

0 Ratings
ChrisDick052
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. I have seen some posts about repeating the wifi to allow "seamless" roaming around the house but couldn't apply their answers to this TP modem. A different channel and SSID would require a log-in for each network??

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Seamless roaming is not possible without a mesh network like the BT Whole Home WiFi.

Devices will keep holding onto an existing connection until they do not see any signal at all.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@ChrisDick052 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I have seen some posts about repeating the wifi to allow "seamless" roaming around the house but couldn't apply their answers to this TP modem. A different channel and SSID would require a log-in for each network??

Different channels won't make any difference to login. Once a device has connected to an SSID and the password entered, the credentials will be remembered for next time, so will be no different to having the same SSID. The benefit is that it will be possible to see which signal the device is connected to and manually change it if required. As Keith has said, seamless roaming between signals is only possible with true mesh systems, devices will drop and re-connect in exactly the same way regardless of having the same or different SSIDs.

0 Ratings
ChrisDick052
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks both for responses. I will set up the TP modem as a separate wifi network and a different channel, there are no other wifi's around so no problem there.

0 Ratings