cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

TP-Link router internet connection dropping out every couple of days

I have a BT Hub (v3) broadcasting a wireless network (let's call it Wifi-1) b/g/n on channel 11, which seems to work fine. The range isn't great so I bought a pair of TP-Link Powerline adaptors (they plug into the mains sockets), one of which is connected via ethernet to the BT Hub, and the other via Ethernet to a TP-Link Router (TP-1043ND). This router is broadcasting another wireless network (Wifi-2) in a different part of the house, on 'n' only, on channel 6.

All works fine for about 1-3 days, and then Wifi-2 stops giving me internet access. It's still broadcasting wifi, which I can connect to. I can view the TP-Link's router's settings page and see that it's connected to the BT Hub with the same IP address as normal, and if I select the 'Renew Lease' option it picks up the same address again. I can reboot it and nothing changes.

When I first encountered this I installed a plug socket timer switch to turn off the TP-Link router once a night for a few minutes, thinking this would keep the connection to BT fresh. Didn't seem to make any difference.

When I look at the BT Hub's settings page it's not saying anything's connected, which seems to contradict the info given on the TP-Link settings claiming its renewed it lease on the IP address.

I've used the TP-Link powerline admin software and confirmed that the link between the two powersocket plugs is working fine.

So all the TP-Link kits thinks it's fully connected, but the BT Hub thinks otherwise and won't give it an internet connection. There are no other wifi networks nearby, so nothing's interfering.

Any ideas? I can't call BT about it because they drive me nuts. I'd end up throwing the lot out of the window before the call was over. At the end of the day I'm trying for a zero hassle, minimal wires set-up. It's just frustrating that it works fine for a day or two and then peters out.

Thanks very much.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: TP-Link router internet connection dropping out every couple of days

wireless help

wireless boost

this help guides were done by CL keith and may help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

problem with moving the post when someone else is posting

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Make sure that the router is set to an IP address outside of the home hubs DHCP range.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

I should have said, I can get it all going again by switching the lot off (BT Hub as well) and back on again. The hub is behaving as if it gets tired of providing internet access to the TP kit and starts blocking it after a day or two.

In summary: all works perfectly well for a day or two, and then the TP_Link wifi stops giving internet access. Rebooting the whole system gets it going again... for a day or two.

I'm starting to think there must be a setting on the BT Hub. Perhaps there's an auto-renew lease option? I'm going to end up with a house full of timer switches, hard-booting everything in the middle of the night.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the links imjolly. I've seen these before, but they don't really nail the problem for me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thanks Keith. I'll check tonight...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 9

I have read many of these links and I'm in the twilight zone now after a day of doing a PhD in the workings of Panasonic Vierra TV connecting to the BT Homehub 2 router via a TP - Link! Everything from going to a Panasonic shop today to see the actual settings working in the shop to X-boxes not connecting and Homehub settings to alter codings to fix problems. NONE have worked so far!? I had connection to Vierra for a few days and then the power save on the TP-links set in [ and possibly the Hub?]. Despite all the resets, questions, forums and research I have got nowhere fast. I am getting infinity in a copper line area soon so I will ask the engineers this one. There's a bottle of whisky as a prize!

Bring back Risc-OS Acorn Archimedes, SO much simpler! This is all a big con and a huge waste of human resources!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

I recently bought a TP Link TL-WPA7510 powerline extender for my sister's BT Hub and have been experiencing exactly the same issues compared with your setup.  The system runs fine for 24 hours but when you pass through the second midnight to 1am period the connection drops from 58 megabits/second down to about 4 megabits/second.  I've tried static IPs and assigning 192.168.1.10 - but nothing seems to work.  I just recently ran a firmware update on the powerline from 2.0.0 to 2.0.2 UK firmware.  Do you still have issues with your setup, or is it resolved now?

Best wishes, Chris

0 Ratings