cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

TV Offering

I was considering YouView from BT, BUT, have just seen TalkTalks deal with Sky. Makes BT's offering very lame in comparison. And why can't you get Sky Sports on BT's YouView??

Better to go with Sky.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: TV Offering

There are lots of new channels coming 'soon' from BT, but we don't know when yet. It is meant to be this year, so not long left.

Sky Sports currently needs a CAM Card to watch Sky Sports over freeview, but the YouView boxes do not have this slot. BT will be streaming the new channels and sports channels to the YouView boxes, but this is not meant to be until next year. The Talk Talk boxes cannot record the streamed channels that they have like Sports and Sky 1 etc. BT would have the same limitation if they released now, which is why many think they are waiting because they don't want to release such a handicapped system.

Hope that makes sense, but if you have any more questions, fire away.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thank you. Does that mean BT have a deal with Sky to stream there channels then? And BT will wait until you record streaming channels on YouView then?  Always seem to be waiting with BT

bobjob
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

i might be wrong but i think you have to have infinity to get BTs streamed channels when they arrive.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

You do need BT Infinity. I have go that (and very good too!)

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

@brianmoore70 wrote:

Thank you. Does that mean BT have a deal with Sky to stream there channels then? And BT will wait until you record streaming channels on YouView then?  Always seem to be waiting with BT

Well, we know that BT have deals with Discovery channels, Watch, FX etc. We haven't heard for definate about the Sky 1,2 channels etc, but BT's new sports channels give them a lot of negotiation power with Sky. I would think it is highly likely that this will happen.

We do know that BT are not releasing the new channels on YouView until next year. We don't know why, but I think it is likely that they are waiting until the streams are recordable, but that is my conjecture.

You have to be on a BT Infinity ENABLED exchange to get the Sky Sports channels at the moment, not actually have Infinity. I think it is likely that you will have to have Infinity to get the new channels, but again, we have not had an official response from BT confirming this.

You are right, that it is all a waiting game at the moment, but I don't think it will be long until we hear what is going on.

0 Ratings
bobjob
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

i hope for those of us without infinity that BT give us some of the best bits on the demand channels.
0 Ratings
jrpatten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

It's a shame you need infinity, my little town will probably never get it, but I get 18 Mbps ADSL, which seems to be more than enough for the HD movies etc without buffering.

The TalkTalk subscription channels work within the TalkTalk player. When you go into the TalkTalk player, you get a secondary TV Guide showing the content on your subscribed channels. It seems kind of disjointed having them tucked away in there. I think BT are waiting for when YouView allow subscription channels to be included in the main YouView TV guide, that way you can see all your content in one place, and also be able to record it and search it.

0 Ratings