Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hawkhand
Beginner
Message 11 of 24

Re: TV Pixilation

Go to solution

I'm having similar problems with the Youview + box. Pixelating and picture dropouts, plus box fails to come out of sleep mode.  I am having to re-boot every couple pf days.  I can;t see why the problem should be the aerial as a re=boot instantly cures the problem for a few days. I have just tried a complete factory re-set, but as That loses all my recordings, not prepared to do that very often, no pint in a recorder if I have to. I am also waiting for an engineer on the 9th (second visit). I hope he will swap out the box, otherwise I will be taking ip the SKY offer to buy me out of my contract. BT TV does everything I need, but it has to work.

0 Ratings
cooljay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution

How old is the box?

The thermal paste drys out on the heatsink and thus runs hotter and these can get failing harddrives at any time but after 2 yrs plus.

Get a cheap slx digital signal finder about £10/£13 and connect to the aerial and see what db you are getting the % on you view box is pointlessthe signal is split into two so as can watch one and record another but the split takes 3 db away which is 50%.

So a weak signal is a problem and more 4G masts are coming on line.

Please note many masts are in test mode and thus not showing up on your mobile as 4 G but the signal is around.

Some 750 mhz channels are very near to 4G.

From 2020 things change Have a look on the freeview website.

These days 75 db max strength is needed.

Regards

C.J

under 60% I find drops outs.

I have 5 BT /Youview boxes in the family and all do the same.

I have been told the HD new box is better but need a strong clear signal. 

0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

Had another go and it found everything for a day and a half but then collapsed again to pixellation.  I think I'll just wait for the engineer.  Had Freeview via antenna direct and it's ok.  Only the STB that's not doing it's biz.  I'm pretty aux fait with signal paths so reckons the STB is the problem.  Just hacks me off that can't record or use demand stuff and it's costing me 100 squid a month plus to be able to do so.  Engineer it is for me.  Tks

0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

That's exactly how I set it up.  Understand signal paths, it's the actual set up I am not up to scratch with i.e. does the STB tune in a baseband and you get individual channels along the carrier or does it tune in individual carriers and just stacks them up?  I can't figure out which way it is

0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

At my age my old mate I just took BT at their word, bought their gear and find it doesn't work unless I get a degree in electronics to work out what is happening.  !00 pounds plus a month tells me that BT should provide what they say in their advertising, they don't mention having to go out and buy a lot of ancillary equipment because theirs doesn't actually do the job because the quality of it is lacking for the job in hand.  I'll wait and see what the engineer says when he comes, if he knows anything about it.

0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

Signal strenth 38 per cent and signal quality are 100 is what it says when it's working.  When it's not then I can't even get a read out as the box doesn't tune properly or finish it's setting up.  I then have to go aerial direct to tv to watch Freeview.  I've lost all my BT extras though, which is what I'm paying for.  BT says this is what you will get when you go thru their sales pitches but what you actually receive is something totally different.  Can't check anything because they say I have an open snag,  i.e. until the engineer comes on the 9th.  Just totally frustrated and hacked off.

0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

There we go, we have the exact same probs.  I'm really hacked off and hope the engineer knows what he's on about.  I did a Career in Cable course a few years ago but the firm went bust before I got a chance to improve my skills (all now lost due to inactivity) but I do understand how sigs work because of what I did in a previous life.  Some of the engineers are fresh off the course and will be about the same level as I was when I finished mine i.e. need experience in other than military comms.  We'll see anyway.  At least you know what I'm going through.  Good luck with yours matey.

0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

It's the new HD box that I've got and believe me matey I wouldn't bother if I was you.  I've got an all new set up from TV, to STB, to router and I've only got probs with the STB.  If BT can't be bothered to put out the right ancillary equipment with their boxes then why should anyone bother using BT is what I'm thinking.  They won't let me terminate my contract either.

0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

And there we go.  I thought I was replying to individuals and the answers I gave just stack up.  God help us.

0 Ratings
cooljay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

Interesting.
Have you tried a direct feed via a mast amp low noise under 1.7db.
Run one feed to the t.v and and different co ax to the freeview.
I am having a high gain aerial and new co ax triple !!! Shields and I get 4 g interference this will only get worse.
If you put in a 4 g filter then 4 db gain goes!!! 3db is 50%!!!
So in 2015 the govt put funds in a pot via the 4g mobile companies but how do we get hold of this to pay for new aerials and install fees and co ax cable.
From 2020 re tune needed again. Morefun.
Might as well read a book get sick of low signal message and recording!!!

0 Ratings