Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

TV Pixilation

Go to solution

I've had this prob before but it seemed to have cleared but now it's back.  Went away for a few days and powered down all my electrics.  Came back, switched back on and lo and behold my TV picture was pixilated again.  Did retunes but it didn't work, did a factory reset of the set top box (Ultra HD) but all the same.  Wondered if it was my antenna so unplugged and went direct to TV and Freeview (built in) and picture and channels fine, so TV is ok and antenna is ok.  Reset for BT box usage, factory reset again and still pixels all over the shop.   Retune only returns 102 channels instead of 279.  The ones that are tuned are a load of rubbish anyway.  Had this same problem last time the pixilation occurred.  Reset router and then went through all the checks again, still the same problem.  Gone to Freeview direct and now got to wait until the 9th for an engineers.  Aint life wonderful?   Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the Ultra HD box coupled with the Hub5.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: TV Pixilation

Go to solution

So is the breakup only occuring on Internet delivered channels, and FreeView channels are fine?

0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

It only occurs when I'm using the STB.  Direct antenna to TV is fine, watching it now.  Saw some guff about signal attenuators if the signal is too strong.  If that is a problem then why don't the adverts for the HD box highlight that when they're being sold?  Will wait and see what guff the engineer comes out with when he eventually arrives.  This is deffo my last period with BT, once this contract is finished so are they.  If they concentrated on customer care with the ones they have instead of the constant sales pitches to flog us more stuff then it would be a bit more beneficial.  My month bills are 100+ so I reckon I deserve better than this.  Really, really getting hacked off.

Forgot to mention that when I take the Freeview via the STB it doesn't show at all, can't get it.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

@S4Brains wrote:

Forgot to mention that when I take the Freeview via the STB it doesn't show at all, can't get it.

I don`t understand what you mean? I believe you have to enable RF passthrogh to allow the aerial signal to pass to output socket.

Could you clarify the following please?

If the YouView box is connected to the TV via HDMI.

1) Does the picture breakup occur when you are watching the Intenet delivered channels?

2) Does the breakup occur if you are watching channels that are delivered via FreeView?

What signal strength and signal quality is showing on the YouView system menu?

0 Ratings
cooljay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

I had this but got a better HDMI lead and used a mast amp from ebay but fitted in the loft for easy DIY install.

I also replaced all the connections with Gold f connectors and so far so good 100% quality and between 60 and 70% on strength.

Was offered a bigger aerial but as mounted high up re trees was concerned re wind and stress on the chimney stack.

Also used R.F magnet clamps on most leads a few quid from ebay.

0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

My setup is that I have a 4K ready Samsung TV, Youview HD box, Series 5 Hub.  The inputs on the back of the TV are HDMI for STB, antenna input for direct input of cable from aerial.  Back of the STB has an input for the aerial direct and output to an aerial input on the TV, supposedly to give me Freeview which is already installed on the TV from what I can gather in the literature.  I also have an input from the back of my Hub to the STB for the broadband generated programming, which I assume is the BT Infinity 2 I'm supposed to be getting, via the HDMI cable.  It's a simple setup which I can follow via the diags on the leaflets.  Because of the pixelation I have had to take the roof antenna direct to the air input and scrub round using the STB altogether.  With the STB the Freeview itself doesn't work at all and cannot get a signal of any description.  Rather than spend my time faffing about and depriving the missus of her viewing while I'm doing it I had to call it a draw.

Worth noting that when I had the snag I tried to get on the BT Help and find out if there were any snags in my area via the information page but when I put my info in the page told me that I had already reported the problem, which I hadn't done, so assumed that BT already knew about some signal problem in my area.  Wrong.  I got in touch with the Help people and they can only get me an engineer on 9th January because they have "technical problems" themselves trying to book an engineer for earlier.  Other pages on the Help system have "technical problems" which stop me following any self help routines.  The "diagnostics" page is a case in point.  Won't work.   Let's face it BT is failing its customers terribly is the only conclusion I can come to.  I used to be a comms analyst myself but it was a long time ago and my memory is not what it used to be but I know a bit about signal paths etc and can't really follow what the heck is going on.

0 Ratings
S4Brains
Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution
Lovely jubbly but I'm not climbing up anywhere at my age and at the end of the day all I want to do is watch TV, which is what I'm paying for, and have bought what I thought was the latest equipment to enable this to be accomplished, wrong! Never had any problems with Rediffusion. I know people are trying to help but I'm just an old codger trying to watch a bit of TV and in a way find all this a bit amusing but frustrating. BT itself isn't much help, they're just trying to flog me stuff all the time and they don't seem to have much time for you once you've bought it and their services.
0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

What signal strength is your TV getting on BBC 1 when aerial is directly connected, If you connect the aerial to the STB and retune the STB does it find any channels?

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

By default the YouView boxes come with the RF passthru set to NO/Off so that, generally. the YV box needs to be on for you to get a signal to the TV. In some cases the signal strength is enough to actually pass the aerial signal to the TV.

Your setup should be aerial input directly into the YV box with a lead then going to the TV.

Within the YV box's settings set RF Passthru to Yes/On.

Check the YV box's signal strength which ideally should be in the 60-65% range.

0 Ratings
cooljay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution
The fly lead needs to be a much better quality lead with good insulation and gold connectors make a difference in that the grub screw holds the copper core tight.
Also go as short as is needed but not tight angles so 50 cm 1 m are good.
Go on you tube and get a pocket radio and walk around the house and you will hear the interference!!!
Amazing and a good fly lead helps.
A few you boxes seem to show higher % when the real signal is a lower db.
45 is iffy so is 50 55 ok of no wind weather or snow.
60 ok and 65 and 70 gives you the cover to miss the digital cliff edge.
That is the old digital signal is all or nothing.
Hope this helps the % is just a figure what matters is the db.
0 Ratings