Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

TV problems after upgrade to infinity

Go to solution

I've just upgraded to Infinity. Didn't realise I would no longer be able to use wireless connection to YouView box. Don't want hard wiring. Any way round this? BT online and telephone helphave been disastrously slow and unhelpful. Bt are happy that  Infinity has been installed but when I run a speed test I get the reply @You do not seem to have Infinity.' Lots of other problems but they tend to be account related.

Not madly technical but I can sort of cope.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: TV problems after upgrade to infinity

Go to solution

Hi

The Vision boxes do not have wireless capability built within them and you will need a cable to get the data from the hub.

Your only real choices are (a) cat5 cable - which can be up to 100m long if you need slack to hide it and inormally the cheaper option or (b) buying powerlines which route the signal down your mains cable and are much more discrete. 

Power lines work best where you are on the same ring of the house main but it isnt essential. I use powerlines and have never had an issue - but you do have to pay for them!

Tim

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks Tim.

What is a power line and where do I buy them. Currently have the BT supplied adapters that apparently do a similar job but not for internet programs. Are they different?

@TimSmedley wrote:

Hi

The Vision boxes do not have wireless capability built within them and you will need a cable to get the data from the hub.

Your only real choices are (a) cat5 cable - which can be up to 100m long if you need slack to hide it and inormally the cheaper option or (b) buying powerlines which route the signal down your mains cable and are much more discrete. 

Power lines work best where you are on the same ring of the house main but it isnt essential. I use powerlines and have never had an issue - but you do have to pay for them!

Tim

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
No. You can also use them for youview connection.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hi

As Dave says they are the same thing.

As you are already feeding the signal into your ring main all you should have to do is buy one more of the same make & model, plug it in next to the TV and set it up.

If you want to you can use 8 BT extenders simultaneously!

Hope this helps.

Tim

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Well. After perhaps 3 hours on phone to various departments the final call got the reply, "Your account hasn't been activated."

And guess what. She was right. Including calls to Complaints and being on-line to technical support (waiting, no agent available) for probably 5 hours in total my TV package has been activated and is working without an ethernet cable. Goodold BT. Thanks for replies.

0 Ratings