Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ceebeejeebees
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

TV service, Contract Auto Renewal and no Notifications

Hello everybody,

I signed a contract with BT in June 2015, as I had signed up for a 2 year contract I had assumed all was well and I'd be able to cancel it this June 2017. After seeing some weird unexplainable fluctuations in my bills recently, I decided to call up to get an explanation and to enquire about cancelling in June.

When I asked the lady about cancellation in June, she told me I had renewed my 'TV service' in January 2016 and so could not cancel until January 2018, which I clearly hadn't because I'd have no reason to and I would have known if I had. I asked her how this could have happened without my knowledge and was told it was something I opted in to when signing up, I am sure this is not something I would have done and if I signed up in June 2015 it does not seem to make sense that it would automatically renew in January 2017? When I contested the renewal she kept on repeating the same thing, "we can cancel it now but you would have a £109 cancelation charge".

My contract was suppose to end in June and after almost 2 years I don't want to pay anymore money to BT considering the poor service I have had. What can I do in this situation?! I feel so helpless, I feel like I've been scammed into paying for something I quite frankly don't use anymore and just don't want either.

Please can anyone help? I cannot understand what is going on, and was only offered incredibly poor customer service when calling the phone services available.

Thanks in advance!!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: TV service, Contract Auto Renewal and no Notifications

Welcome to the forum. It's not unknown for a minimum period to be renewed unwittingly when making a service change, and it's easy to forget what may have triggered it. You might find the reason here; please post back if not.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Take a look at your orders on this link  https://www.bt.com/appsordermgmt/secure/listoforders.do

0 Ratings
ceebeejeebees
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

I've had a look at my orders and the only order places in January was a home move, surely this wouldnt renew my contract without me knowing right?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@ceebeejeebees wrote:
I've had a look at my orders and the only order places in January was a home move, surely this wouldnt renew my contract without me knowing right?

Yes it would. When you do a home move, your contract is automatically renewed for 12 months. This covers the cost of providing service at your new home.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8333/~/moving-home-with-bt

0 Ratings
ceebeejeebees
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

So if I want to cancel the broadband and the TV in June I should be able to it is only the phone line?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

@ceebeejeebees wrote:
So if I want to cancel the broadband and the TV in June I should be able to it is only the phone line?

It depends on whether you moved your BT TV service with you, That bit about the phone line assumes that a phone line is all you have, which is likely to apply to a lot of people. Its the cost of providing that line which costs BT money, hence the insistence in a new phone contract.

If you had not moved your TV and broadband, then it would only be the 12 month phone contract which would have applied. You probably asked for all your services to be moved, so they were all renewed together.

Why it was renewed for two years, I do not know, perhaps that is what you agreed at the time?

Some of the TV services are only on a month by month subscription, so you could cancel those that you no longer need.

0 Ratings
ceebeejeebees
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Okay thankyou so much for your help, I will call up again and ask about the TV services!
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

@ceebeejeebees wrote:
Okay thankyou so much for your help, I will call up again and ask about the TV services!

You might be able to downgrade to the basic £10 a month option.

Try online TV orders chat team 

Or BT UK customer options on 0800 800 030.

0 Ratings