Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debzkn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Tag on Phone Line, any advice/help?

Hi there!

So I recently took out a phone line with BT back at the beginning of Dec, and then later decided to get Broadband set up as well. I was looking at getting BT Infinity, Option 2, the unlimited one - but when attempting to order online, was prompted to provide a MAC code.

I thought it was unusual as I had not had broadband with any previous providers, and the phone line was completely new. I then rang up BT to try and place the broadband order over the phone, only to be told the same thing about the MAC code and that I couldn't get the BB because there was a tag on my phoneline from a different provider (apparently BE, though I've never had BB with them or even spoke to their sales team about getting BE BB before). So I called up BE, and was told the tag was from o2. Both providers said they had no record of an account with my phone number.

Back at square 1 with BT - and I've been here for well over a month now. Every time I call up, having to repeat myself (because apparently they don't keep notes on my account regarding issues). And every time, the advisor puts me on hold for about 10 minutes while they liase with BT wholesale to put in a request for the tag to be removed, and promises to call me back in 24/48/72 hours.. they never call back.

I've been calling BT almost every other day since the first week in December, trying to get the tag removed. And at the beginning of this week, spoke to someone called Scott who advised a phone number change (free of charge) that would remove the tag. So I agreed, and went ahead with the phone number change, and now that it's changed.. the tag is STILL on the line.

I'm literally going crazy here, and so sick and tired of going around in circles with BT! This experience has completely put me off of buying their services. You'd think they would be a bit more helpful since I actually want their custom!

Does anyone have any advice as to what I could do next, to get this tag removed? Trying to contact BT wholesale seems difficult as I am unable to find a contact number for them.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Tag on Phone Line, any advice/help?

I would try the forum mods for help I believe BT can remove the tag   and you can not deal direct with wholesale

Contact Mods at
forum.moderation.team@bt.com
include a link to this topic account number and phone number

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

optatus
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

You can't contact BT wholesale, only the provider can. What you can do is go back to BT again and ask them to explain the situation to BT wholesale/eco, stating that you had never/asked for broadband, they may remove the unwanted tag clearing the way for their broadband to be put on the line. Until this gets resolved this will be the same for any provider you choose to go with.

Whenever you say you got a new line do you mean a brand new line, was it an old line that was stopped or did you switch provider? It's highly unlikely that this was placed on by mistake so only the provider who placed it on can give you the mac code, I'd advise firstly to getting BT to try and force it to be removed

0 Ratings
debzkn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I emailed the forum mods as advised above, but no response as of yet. Any idea how long it usually takes for them to respond?

I'm beyond sick and tired of dealing with this issue and getting absolutely no where with BT. Thinking of just getting broadband with BE, seeing as it's their tag on my phone line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

The mods usually respond within a couple of days they are UK based depending on volume of mails they receive but they do get results and if you give them time they will get your tag problem solved ironically even though you have a BE tag on your line you would not get service till it is removed and service reordered
0 Ratings
debzkn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for your responses and advice.

I guess I'll await their response and go from there, but understandably I'm doubtful they will be of any help - considering BT's lack of help so far.

Out of curiosity, if I cancel my phone line with BT, and get a new phone line with a different company, say Virgin Media - would the tag be removed? As it's a new phone line? Or would VM still use the same line BT did, and just take it over? Meaning the tag is still on it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Depends whether the service that virgin connected to was via there cable network or it used the bt service
0 Ratings
debzkn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Sigh, spoke to BT on Monday - the advisor promised the tag would be removed by the end of Tuesday and that he would call me back to confirm and place the BB order. Tuesday went by, and no phone call (not surprising) so I call them this morning to see what's going on, only to be transferred between departments as no one seemed bothered enough to help me with my issue. And after a small rant, I was hung up on by the supervisor.

Called back, and was told another request was put in for it to be removed, and I would receive a call back tomorrow. More lies..

I've made two complaints by email about this, and no reply to that either - SURPRISE, SURPRISE!

0 Ratings
debzkn
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Oh, and still no reply from the BT Forum Mods on here either..

0 Ratings