Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kram90
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Talk me into signing up for BT Infinity

Go to solution

BT Openreach is currently enabling my cabinet for FTTC.  For the bandwidth on the "unlimited" plan, BT Retail are the most competitive on price at the moment.

I use the net mainly for video streaming - iPlayer, Video Podcasts, IPTV from the States (TWiT and CNET, etc).  Also use a SlingBox and the additional up to 10 Meg upload would be useful.

I also occasionally use Citrix VPN connection for work.

I would be migrating from O2 where I currently enjoy a unlimited and un-throttled (albeit slowish 2.4 Meg) connection.

By the very nature of Forums a lot of faults, complaints, etc.. get posted.  What I need to know is are these the minority and most people that are pleased with the service of BT are silent.

I would welcome any feedback from those that are happy with their service.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Raven2010
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Talk me into signing up for BT Infinity

Go to solution

"

BT Openreach is currently enabling my cabinet for FTTC.  For the bandwidth on the "unlimited" plan, BT Retail are the most competitive on price at the moment.

I use the net mainly for video streaming - iPlayer, Video Podcasts, IPTV from the States (TWiT and CNET, etc).  Also use a SlingBox and the additional up to 10 Meg upload would be useful.

I also occasionally use Citrix VPN connection for work.

I would be migrating from O2 where I currently enjoy a unlimited and un-throttled (albeit slowish 2.4 Meg) connection.

By the very nature of Forums a lot of faults, complaints, etc.. get posted.  What I need to know is are these the minority and most people that are pleased with the service of BT are silent.

I would welcome any feedback from those that are happy with their service."

I cannot comment really having Infinity not available im my area, but i can say this the majority of posts on these forums are because people are having problems with there service, i do however believe that this is a minority occurance considering BT's vast client base, i have been with BT since the 1st of March 2010, apart from the countrywide outage, i have experienced no problems with BT, i have a 4 Meg line and a very good phone service, i will say however that BT's use of there ip profiling can be a bit dodgy at times, there line stability can be a little unstable at times (my net drops at least twice a week), i dont like the way that BT does not offer a static IP option.

Infinty is, it seems to me, in its teething faze (if you can call it that), but i myself would be very tempted as you say with the option of a dramatically increased upload capacity you can get.

I totally hate the indian call center (even though BT will tell you it is UK based) no offence ment to anyone just doing there job at the call centers but its like ringing spain and not speaking spanish, they do all have a sheet infront of them that they refer too and a diagnostic help page they bring up for every call.

tuco
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

fast but worried about exceeding the fair usage limit 😕

wezlyons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

I am beginning to wish I hadn't talked myself into getting it.

The past two weeks have seen my "super fast fibre optic broadband" reach breakneck speeds of less than 4mb.

RubberNutter
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Hi

I have infinity installed, and yes I am having some problems with sync speed, other than that the connection is stable, however this is in hand and being dealt with. If you have FTTC enabled try the on line checker to see what is suggests for connection speed as there is a 15 meg sync speed limit and if your connection won't get that, you won't get FTTC installed from what I have been lead to believe. From what you are suggesting for your connection speed it sounds like you are at lest 3000 mtrs from exchange, however this would change as you would connect to the cabinet in the street and connection speed would go up.

As this is still being rolled out there as some people who have problems with connection speed, however no one will post or call to say I am having a great connection great service, people only ever post or call because they have problems be it a very small amount. The technology will improve so will the service.

cherkhan
Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Well

I have no problems with it, except the 'BT engineer' did not install the hub, just connected the cat5 to the wall and router! No landline was connected meaning I could not switch from broadband calls to landlines calls through the hub phone. Not a problem to do myself though. I also had to do the install myself and connect the hub etc.

Reason given? I had not given permission for the engineer to 'access my computer'. Okay, so I was not there but my mother was. I would have thought that having orderd inifnity I was agreeing to all conditions for use and install.

Anyway, that besdes:-

Here are my figures. Been stable now all week since install last Monday. A few drops at night but no problem with downloads or connections. I upgrared from a 'failing' miserably broadband line at top rate and getting in the end only 1Mb downloads at best when originally I was getting 3750 continually. So all things taken in to account, I am very happy with what I have:)

By the way, BT line checker said I would get 17mB with 7Mb download.

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

35291 Kbps

0 Kbps38717 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
> Download speedachieved during the test was - 35291 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

8147 Kbps

0 Kbps10000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8147 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

cherkhan
Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
Oh yes and BT install disk will not work:) but do not need it anyway:)
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Can,t get it here but even with my 6 Megish connection I used to reach the Old FUP 100 Gig limit at which you drop to dial up speeds during peak hours, now the FUP limit is 300 Gig you could break that no problem with Infinity (if it works well for you )  just a thought ?

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

Goody
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Kram90 welcome to the forums.

If your infinity enabled then it is a good deal. As for the forums, Well you say it seems like a lot of complaints and that might be true but people only tend to come to a place like this when they have issues. What a forum like this does not show it the thousands, millions of satisfied customers.

I have said this before in other threads that no one hardly ever posts the good stuff but thats the same for most service industry forums. If your happy then you tend to just carry on happy in the knoweldge that all is well.

thesimo
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
BT Infinity = at least 15Mbit. convincing complete.