Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kezzaman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Target SNR

Hi,

I used to be with BT but changed over to Virgin in April.

In my house with love gaming and i've recently realised that we have a much better connection on xbox live when the noise margin on my line is at 13db but it very rarely is at 13db except between the hours of 1am to 8am and then it drops to 9db during the day. I understand it has to do this to maintain maximum download speeds during peak times but i dont care for maximum speeds... I asked Virgin if they could change the value of my snr so that it never drops below 13db but they said they have no control over it, its to do with the exchange. So im guessing that only BT have control over this and if that is the case i will be willing to come back to you guys if you can do this for me?

The exchange code is: EMHORSL 

I get around 8mb

Here are my router stats:

NETGEAR Router Statistics_1313854534134.pngNETGEAR Router Statistics_1314662427829.png

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Target SNR

kezzaman, I've replied on your thread on the Virgin Media forum, and in the other part of this forum you've posted.
0 Ratings
kezzaman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Jeezz gouledw!! let someone who knows what they are talking about reply!!!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Hi kezzaman this is a BT customer to customer self help forum there is no need to attack posters like you have when they are offering you help as you are NOT A BT CUSTOMER no one here can assist you you need to deal with your provider VIRGIN
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 10

Hi Kezzaman,

As has been suggested the noise margin should not have a direct impact on your online gaming. 

Peak times run typically between 6pm-midnight so it sounds like you are getting more throughput speed after midnight to power your games than maybe you see throughout the day.  A couple of www.speedtester.bt.com checks should show you if this is the case.

We can set a target SNR of 15 db but I am not convinced that this would get the results that you are looking for and would not like to guarantee it.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
kezzaman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Hey Graig,

That sounds perfect, Is there any chance i could trial this before i return to BT?

Cheers
0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

Hi Kezzaman,

A interesting suggestion regarding trialing the product would it be possible to keep the forum updated on this.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Hi As Craig has said he is not convinced this is the answer to your problem and neither am I this is a link to the forum mod team http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951complete the web form and they reply directly to you either via email or phone normally within 72 hours hope that helps you

0 Ratings
kezzaman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Hi John,

I didnt come here to find out wether having my SNR raised would or wouldn't work, i just wanted to know if it could be done.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Hi
Well you found it can and you have a link now to contact the forum mods to have it done this is a very friendly and helpful forum and an aggressive approach to people will only turn people away from helping you please can we all keep it friendly
0 Ratings