Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kezzaman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Target SNR

Hi,

I used to be with BT but changed over to Virgin in April.

In my house with love gaming and i've recently realised that we have a much better connection on xbox live when the noise margin on my line is at 13db but it very rarely is at 13db except between the hours of 1am to 8am and then it drops to 9db during the day. I understand it has to do this to maintain maximum download speeds during peak times but i dont care for maximum speeds... I asked Virgin if they could change the value of my snr so that it never drops below 13db but they said they have no control over it, its to do with the exchange. So im guessing that only BT have control over this and if that is the case i will be willing to come back to you guys if you can do this for me?

The exchange code is: EMHORSL 

I get around 8mb

Here are my router stats:

NETGEAR Router Statistics_1313854534134.pngNETGEAR Router Statistics_1314662427829.png

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Target SNR

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
kezzaman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Overriding the snr on the DSLAM doesnt seem to have the same affect as when it just happens by itself... A resync would just see it gradually return to the way it is now.
0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Im afraid kezzaman, if you were to lower the SNR the line would fail to sync.  Because you're already on the maximum speed provided by ADSL Max, you can't go any higher.  Thats why your exchange has given you spare noise margin.  You must allow your SNR margin to fluctuate during the evenings when everyone is online, thats why your gaming response will be worse because more people are online, so it creates more lag between your games console and the exchange and then beetween the exchange and games host.

For example on this line:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:16 days, 13:33:02
Downstream:8128 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):9.3 dB / 25.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):26.0 dB / 13.0 dB

If the SNR was to go lower than 9 it would try to sync higher than 8128kbps and as that is the cap on ADSL Max the exchange would refuse to let it sync, and you would be left with no internet.

0 Ratings
kezzaman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Dude i want it to go higher than 9... i want 13db plus.
0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

If you want it higher, you'll be facing a reduction in sync speed.  But as your not with BT will be unable to help you get it down on this forum as we're not Virgin.  You can always register on Virgin's Forum and speak to their mods which should be able to get something arranged for you.

Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Hi kezzaman THis is a BT customer to customer self help forum as you are a virgin customer there is nothing Bt CAN DO TO HELP YOU also please do not attack posters who are offering you help it is rude and unnecessary