cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 31

Re: Teamviewer.com

I had a call today from 'bt technicians', as I had a fault with my line (not that I was aware of), as he told me to go to www.teamviewer.com I told him where to go. But I've had BT genuinly ring up and ask for my credit card details before without any proof of who they are as my direct debit didn't go through one month. So I thought it might of been them again, ringing up to do something without prior warning. I sent an email complaining to BT saying next time send an email first or something before you just cold call, but looks like it was just scammers after all! Good job I told him where to go

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 31

the simple answer is NEVER LET ANY ONE have remote access to your PC
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 31

Play along and get their teamviewer Partner ID, then mail it to privacy@teamviewer.com explaining what happenned.

I just had the usual....

First guy gets you to open event viewer to show you "errors" (every computer has them by the way)

Then when they think they have a sucker, they pass you over to the second "senior" guy who gets you you install team viewer (or logmein) and enter their Partner ID.

At that stage I told him i had an error and asked him to write it down. I told him phonetically Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Echo Oscar Foxtrot Foxtrott. and asked him to read it back.

When he realised i had wasted his time, he told me to "stand in front of my mother and tell her to suck my ****"

After telling me this a few times, I asked is that in capitals and he hung up haha.

Play along get what you can and report it to save others. (Dont ever connect to them or let them connect though)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 31

You are replying to a 5 year old post!!

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 31

If you google bt openreach and TeamViewer this is the link you get. Regardless of age it's where many victims may read when they search.

Also shows how long they have been doing this and how Teamviewer and bt haven't done anything to prevent it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 31

When I do a Google search for anything, I check the date of the result.

What on earth do you expect BT and Teamviewer to do about scammers?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 31

Congratulations on checking the date every time.

I hope every bit of advice you ever search for has been answered within a timeframe you feel relevant. Could you please suggest a time window where people should stop reading advice? I searched the internet for information on a headache and it said takeparacetamol . But I notice that the doctor said that about 20 years ago. Guess paracetamol won't work!

Whether this post is 5 or 10 years old, it is still relevant and still the result that shows up when you search. The type of people who fall for these scams are generally none technical and would probably read the first result that comes up when they searched for help.

A tip for yourself though.... All forums give you the option to stop following a post. This way when someone comments on a post (you yourself chose to follow), your precious time won't be taken up by receiving a notification email and you feeling you have to go online, sign in the the forum, and reply with your pointless replies.
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 28 of 31

@Barto

You see posts similar to this quite often on 'The Lounge' board.  Honestly I cannot believe how anyone is daft enough to give any information to a  cold caller, never volunteer any information to anyone. As to giving remote access to ones PC if someone allows this, not having arraigned with a trusted individual beforehand, then they deserve whatever they get.

Scams like this have been warned about for years, you can't read the online news or any other media without seeing warnings, but some people still fall for it.  Weird.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 29 of 31

We're hardcore technical enthusiasts, engineers and even networking professionals here, many of us having been working in this domain since before the Internet ever existed.

Extrapolating to others from what we think is "obvious" couldn't be more wrong. 🙂

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 30 of 31

I do see the point you raise but it's down to using commonsense really.  Smiley Wink

Similar to the bank details scam some fall for.  They give out sort code and pin to the caller, without realising the fact that the bank doesn't need this information, they already have full access to the account.  Same thing, not thinking.

0 Ratings