Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shawneboi
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Telephone line upgrade?

Hi, 

I'm currently in the process of moving to a new house, which happens to be on a farm. I was looking at new Internet packages and came across infinity which in the webpage had a speed test. put in my phone number and gave me a a speed of 1.5mbs. This is around 8x slower then what I get now.

I guess its dew to being an old farm house with poor cableing in the house and to the house from the exchange.

I'm going to upgrade the cables in the house my self as there a bit battered this is the easy part.

Where do I start to get the cables to the exchange upgraded? Can it even be done? And is this even the right way to go about an speed increase? Cost is no issue ideally I want fibre optic but can settle for less

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/CMWARW > that's a link to the change that covers our area, we are about the best part of a mile away (as the crow flys) if that helps

Any help into this is greatful

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Telephone line upgrade?

Hi you will not get any faster speed as the speed is related to your line length replacing the copper will make no difference i am sorry to say bt will not undertake that sort of work just to increase broadband speed if indeed it was possible as to the result from the infinity checker that just shows you will be unable to receive the fibre service as you need at minimum of a 15mb fibre connection to receive the service there are plans for a slower fibre service being rolled out but not every street cabinet in an exchange area are or can be upgraded to fibre
shawneboi
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

So what can be done to get a descent speed to my house?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Unfortunately thereisreallynothingyo
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

you can check here for ideas that may help 

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

if you want assistance/ideas please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Sorry about mylast post was unable toedit it unfortunately there is nothing that can be done as speed isline length and quality dependent and BT will not reroute lines even if it was possible just to increase broadband speed
0 Ratings