cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Terminating a contract

Hi all. I am going to need to cancel my contract for BT Vision, phone line and Broadband when it comes to renewal but I am worried that like some others, I will be ignored and the contract will tie me down for another year or two. The fact of the matter is that I will be leaving the UK in August 2012 - my contract expires in November 2012. I took out a deal which offered phone line, BB and Vision. I don't want to transfer it to anyone, I am happy to keep paying until it expires even if I am not here. I am willing to pay the BB fee in advance or use online banking to do it. I am know that BT are not the most sympathetic of companies and to say that I have had a lot of trouble with all my services is an understatement...including being advised on how to use BT Vision by a lady in India that had never used BT Vision... So my question is, do I need to tell BT now? Can I tell them now and pretty much every week/month until I have proof in writing that they understand my request and accept that I will be terminating the contract? Sorry to go on but I hear horror stories about BT and cringe. Thank you all.
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Terminating a contract

The vast majority of BT contracts do not auto-renew.  At the end of the minimum period, they simply turn into a rolling monthly contract.  So you don't actually need to do anything, just contact BT a month before you need to terminate the contract.

Avoid signing up to any new service or accepting any free new equipment, as this may renew your contract without you realising it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

There is one thing to worry about though.

If you cancel the broadband in or out of contract, there is a £30 charge to pay. This charge is levied on to all ISP's and is passed on to you the customer for the work done to disconnect the broadband at the exchange.

If you were transferring your broadband and used a MAC code this charge would not apply.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Why not contact the moderators I am sure they can help you get this all set up. Details in sig file

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I am not worried about the charge. However, I am worried that it is mentioned that not all contracts do that! Think I will call them, preferably when I am in a very stunning mood so that by the end of the call, I will only want to maim and kill and not be suicidal. Thanks for all of your advice.

0 Ratings