cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 15

Re: Terrestrial HD channels, online????

The BT Vision service is still supported for those that are still on it (or those that despsrately want Sky Sports 5). They can get the IPTV PSB HD channels on it if they have Infinity.

The point is that you are not on the BT Vision service and I don't think just plugging in a BT Vision box will change that. Happy to be corrected if wrong on that though.

The BT Youview service/box is much better in most respects anyway and BT will no doubt at some point phase out the older BT Vision boxes.

Unfortunately for you BT seem to have shown absolutely no interest in enabling the PSB HD channels via IPTV on BT Youview boxes for those that don't get good HD aerial reception. This question has been raised several times before over the last couple of years. I don't know why BT don't support this. Possibly just to keep costs down in the longer term bearing in mind most customers can receive them on BT Youview boxes via the aerial?
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 15

Everyone who can get a Freeview signal will get BBC One, Two, Three, ITV and C4 in HD on a Youview box, because that Mux is broadcast on every single transmitter and relay. In this case there is no point in BT offering it over IPTV.

BT TV doesn't sell itself as a solution for people who have Terrestrial TV reception problems. It's a complementary service. Replicating Freeview on IPTV is wasteful capacity wise, and there would not be enough extra viewers taking up the service because of access to freeview channels over IPTV to cover the cost.

People who have terrestrial reception problems, and it is only a relatively small number of people now who can't get a terrestrial solution, do have an alternative. It's called Freesat. There is nothing stopping them using a separate Freesat box for the free channels, and a BT Youview box for additional paid channels.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 15

I agree with what Colin_London says. BT have though gone to the trouble of setting up the PSB HD channels on multicast to compliment the BT Vision box Freeview SD channels reception. So in some ways that was a solution to a reception issue. I was actually surprised that they bothered doing that.

I guess that it's inevitable that people will ask why BT don't allow those same multicast channels to be viewed on BT Youview boxes. My guess is that in the longer term once they phase out BT Vision boxes they will turn off the PSB HD multicast channels and hence save some money and multicast capacity for potential other new channels?

A few additional thoughts:-

Not all the Freeview HD channels are available on multicast. Only the ones linked to public service broadcasters (BBC, ITV, Ch4). Maybe BT get some licence fee funding towards this?

Those that can't get the extra COM7/8 multiplexes can't fix it themselves as they aren't transmitted from their local transmitter. So I suppose we should call it a transmission issue rather than a reception issue. 🙂

As far as I have read the current extra Freeview HD channels set up is actually a temporary situation until the next big Freeview review/changes which is planned some time from 2018 onwards. Will there possibly be major changes to HD coverage then? I expect Ofcom are looking into options now.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 15

Another thought.

Bearing in mind BT, BBC, ITV, Ch4 are all stakeholders in Youview then maybe a customer could email them and ask why the PSB HD channels are not available on Youview via multicast as they are on BT Vision. See what they say.

Customers pay the TV licence fee and pay for the BT TV on Youview service. Surely the BBC in particular would have a responsibility to respond to such a query?

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 15

@Leebool wrote:

... my terrestrial TV signal has been suffering interference from a new 4G mobile network and the adapter to stop this blocks all the HD channels.

Going back to your original point.

Why would the 4G filter block any of your Freeview reception? Did you receive any TV signal on UHF60? Are you using the correct type of filter (59 filter or 60 filter)? 

See  https://at800.tv/guide/4g-filters-guide/

0 Ratings