Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 30

Re: Terrible BT broadband speed problems since November

@TeaAndToast wrote:

Im not sure how the engineer lowered the DB as I thought this was the ditance from the exchange, and how could that be repaired?

the attenuation is measured by resistance on the line and because the engineer fixed a very badly corroded connection he reduced the line resistance hence the attenuation is lowered

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 30

Tea and toast the attenuation was improved by repairi ng a faulty connection as the poster said in his reply
0 Ratings
Sspontaneous
Beginner
Message 13 of 30

imjolly: I am getting an audible earth hum and some faint intermitent crackling on the quiet line test
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 30

are you using a cordless phone as the dull hum is normal but the crackle is not.  If you have a crackle on your line then it's back to reporting a phone fault dial 151.  you need to get your line ok before you can hope to get your broadband better

check here that there is nothing causing a problem  http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
TeaAndToast
Contributor
Message 15 of 30

Sspontaneous

sorry for hijacking or maybe you can answer, where was this corroded connection replaced at?

0 Ratings
Sspontaneous
Beginner
Message 16 of 30

Tea and Toast

Your peak kbps has improved to 720, which is what I was getting even though stated more. Are you plugged into the main test socket, behind the faceplate of the main socket? If the test socket has anything bar an openreach symbol you may need an iplate £8. I always keep by broacband I have a post at the top but have roughly explained what I have done to improve mine. Get yourself a spiral high speed RJ11 line from the a bay for £5, it reduces noise and interference from electrics. Also put the router and RJ11 cable slightly out of the way of electrical cables where possible. Open the main socket faceplate and remove the orange wire, basically keeping 2 blue 5 white/blue. Im not sure how the engineer lowered the DB as I thought this was the ditance from the exchange, and how could that be repaired?
I was going straight into the test socket behind the panel but I just noticed the engineer has re-assembled the socket, so I am back in the main (front) socket. Should I put it back into the test socket?
The wall socket is an Openreach.
I shall look into your suggestion of a new RJ11 cable
I will try removing the orange wire tomorrow afternoon
I studied the post's i could find on this forum (not sure about yours particularly) that had a checklist of things to consider and do. I moved cables and power supplies as far as I could away from the hub and phone cables. At one point I turned everything off in the room, plugged a phone straight into the test socket to do a quiet line test. I still got a hum and crackles. I turned my PC on (one metre away?) and then, lights, tv ( 2 metres away, but power unit, 1.5 metres awy from Hub), all this whilst doing the QL test, there was no audible difference.
Could the ethernet cable outputting from the hub to the pc effect the incoming adsl?
Could the problem be up the telegraph pole or the wiring outside the house, ....the engineers have tinkered with the box in the road below it and at the exchange several times. The last engineer said as he looked up at the pole, that he hoped the problem wasnt up there! He would have to call out another engineer to hold the ladder. But then he found a faulty crimp.
The telegraph pole also carries power cables, there are farms and businesses up the road with some pretty heavy electrical machinery. If we are going to great lengths to clear up stray electronic interference from our home, could it be possible its coming from the power cables on the telegraph pole?

Many thanks for your advice.

0 Ratings
Sspontaneous
Beginner
Message 17 of 30

RE: imjolly

I have tried it on one chordless phone and two chorded phones, the hum and the crackles are on all!

I thought the last engineer was coming out to sort the line fault!!

I will check out the post
Thanks

0 Ratings
Sspontaneous
Beginner
Message 18 of 30

TeaAndToast: In the BT box in the street outside, under the telegraph pole. I sorry i can't be any more specific than that.
0 Ratings
Sspontaneous
Beginner
Message 19 of 30

imjolly
Thanks for the link, I have actually been thru the list of stuff to look out for,.
I do have a PC, flat screen, pc speakers syncmaster monitor/tv, most with psu's, I moved them away and turned off any uneccesary nearby, but how far away is safe? Could low energy light bulbs cause problems? I have one just over a metre away!

I did check the QL test with everything of in the room besides the hub with a chorded phone going straight into the test socket, there was no audible improvment

I will give my cabling etc another good check tomorrow and plug straight into the test socket again!

One other thing, the incoming electricity meter box and fuses is directly above (one metre) where I keep my hub, could that be a problem? Also please check some of my queeries on my slightly earlier post about the telegraph pole!

Many thanks for your time and patience!

0 Ratings
TeaAndToast
Contributor
Message 20 of 30

Sorry I had a bigger post but hit backspace by mistake. Try and follow your line in as many old farm houses have junctions leading to the main socket. I had a 0.3MB  connection into the main socket, so once i left it for a day behind the test socket I got 0.72, then it raised to 1.1MB so I got a little sus. I will give u a link to the website for the RJ11, ordered 16:15 delivered next day 🙂 Sticky tape all wires that are not used so do no touch. Even make sure the wires behind that are not crossing.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Aquarius-Computers/_i.html?_nkw=rj11+high&submit=Search&_sid=43889198

0 Ratings