Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
divingdave
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Terrible Customer Service & Slow Broadband Speeds

Hi there,

My mum moved into a house 5 weeks ago and arranged for a BT phone line and BT broadband to be connected. The phone line was connected but the broadband didn't work.

I called customer services and went through the myriad of checks with them and they finally concluded there was a fault with the line. The operator said he'd arranged to have it fixed and said I would be called back by an engineer. A few days later we had heard nothing so called back and spoke to another operator. I explained the situation at length and was told that the previous operator had lied to me and that an engineer would never call me. That aside, we arranged (again) to have the fault fixed and a few days later the broadband was finally connected.

However, the speed was very slow - in fact it was less than a quarter of what we were told to expect. Speed tests at the BT Wholesale website showed a constant download speed of 1.93Mbps rather than the 8.1Mbps we were told to expect.

We called customer services again and were told to reset the Home Hub and wait a few days as the speed would increase. We did this and it made no difference.

I called customer services again and they went through all the tests with me (again!) and we could only ever get 1.93Mbps when connected directly to the Home Hub via Ethernet and with all other devices switched off. The operator said she would escalate the problem to Level 2 and someone would call me back on another day.

So we waited and were called back on the day they said. It was like Groundhog Day. The operator went through all the same tests with me (yes, again!) and we were still stuck at 1.93Mbps download, exactly as before. She concluded I had a faulty hub and arranged to send me a new one. This came a few days later. I swapped the hubs over and reset everything. Connected to the BT Wholesale Speed Test website and ran a test. Surprise surprise.... 1.93Mpbs download.

So we called customer services again and we did all the same tests again. This operator said she would escalate the issue to an engineer and would call us back in a few days. When they called us back a few days later they just wanted us to run the same tests again but this time we refused as this is becoming a joke. The guy couldn't offer any progress beyond running these test AGAIN and we need to move to the next step. We're just going round and round in circles, wasting lots and lots of time and getting very frustrated with the lack of help.

What are we supposed to do? We don't seem to be making any progress with the Indian Call Centre and we really need this fixing? I've personally spent hours waiting around at my Mum's house, waiting for calls back and countless hours running the tests that you ask me to. I really need to speak to someone in the UK who can actually fix this. Please help me BT.

David

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Terrible Customer Service & Slow Broadband Speeds

Hi there @divingdave and welcome to the BT Residential Forums. 🙂

Please note that only BT Employees are forum moderators here: everyone else are customers just trying to assist, but to assist, we need some information to be posted:

1) Can you post the adsl stats from your router? Depending on the router, you may need to 'show detail' to get all the necessary stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1).

2) Run  btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems). Once the first test completes, run the Further Diagnostics test and post the results (do not reset the router): the Further Diagnostics test will provide you with your connection's IP profile, which controls the throughput that you receive.

3) Can you go to the following link and post results here? Please delete number when posting the results: http://dslchecker.bt.com. This allows members to see the broadband packages available to you and whether your speeds are not within your estimates.

4) Are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

5) Have you tried the quiet line test? If not, please dial 17070 and select option 2: you should hear nothing. The test is best done with a corded phone: cordless phones may hear a 'dull hum', which is normal

Once this information is posted, a user might be able to offer help or assistance to resolve the problem.

The test socket looks like this on most master sockets:

test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
divingdave
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Thanks @SuperSajuuk - I'm going over to the house again later so will get the results and post them back on here.

This isn't a problem we can fix though - the countless tests we have run with all the different operators prove that. We need to speak to someone at BT who can take control of this and get it fixed. At the moment we're just going around in circles and achieving nothing.

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 17

@divingdave I can appreciate the call centers are unhelpful, most of us here avoid them after a bad experience. 🙂

Unfortunately, the forum mods are quite busy right now with a lot of referrals and they will only get involved if the community are not able to assist with the problem: they prefer that customers try to help out each other before getting involved in something, as many problems can usually be solved from community assistance. 🙂

Once the stats have been posted, it'll help in getting mod help if it is needed. 🙂
0 Ratings
divingdave
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Thanks @SuperSajuuk

1. Here is the Troubleshooting log from the Home Hub 4:

18:09:29, 23 Jul.    ( 66.180000) DSL noise margin: 27.00 dB upstream, 18.40 dB downstream

18:09:29, 23 Jul.    ( 66.110000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 8128 Kbps downstream

2. Here is the Further Diagnostics from the BT Wholesale Speed Test website:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.93 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.

Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate: 8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps

3. Here are the DSL Checker website results (sorry for poor copy/paste):

Featured Products   Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)   Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)   Downstream Range(Mbps)

High        Low                                High        Low

FTTC Range A (Clean)        60           40                                 16.2         9.9                                     --

FTTC Range B (Impacted)  50.2         30                                 15.8         7.2                                     --

ADSL Max                            Up to 8                                                --                                         7 to 8

Fixed Rate                                2                                                    --                                            --

4. The master socket is the only socket in the house. It's an Openreach socket with two ports. The DSL cable is connected from the hub into the top socket. The phone is connected to bottom socket.

5. Carried out the quiet test and it's very quiet!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 17

Thanks for posting the stats @divingdave!

Your downstream noise margin is too high, the norm is 6db. Your router recently reset the connection: was that manual or automatic?

Given 3/5 days of a stable connection, your IP Profile should begin to rise, which will also lower the noise margin and increase your speed. If you can't maintain 3/5 days of stable connection, then there is some sort of interference which prevents DLM from raising your IP Profile.

Looking at DSL Checker, you do have fibre available to you, although you would likely need to order Infinity 1 (with unlimited data) as your Range B shows between 30-50Mbps: just pointing this out, should you choose to want to upgrade to Infinity. 🙂
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

@SuperSajuuk

This is is another case where high noise margin is ok as OP on max speed for adslmax

probelm which sometimes happens with people on the max connection speed in adslmax the profile gets stuck at 2mb and needs mod help. Mods will. Post a contact us link. 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 17

@imjolly Thought as much. But won't mods want to wait for 3/5 days connection time first, in case profile isn't stuck? If profile is stuck, it would be more apparent after 3/5 days of connection, no? But if mods will get involved, I'll leave it to them.
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 9 of 17

Hi divingdave,

Thanks for posting. If you don't see any change after 3 days connection (without any drops) send over your details and I'll look at this for you. You'll get the contact details in my profile.

Cheers

David

divingdave
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

Thanks @DavidM - you've given me a glimmer of hope. I will wait 3 days and see what happens.

I should point out that the hub has previously been connected for well in excess of 3 days (with no drops) over the past 5 weeks. The only time we reset it is when the call centre staff have asked us to. The download speed is always 1.93Mbps.

Is the IP Profile being capped at 2Mbps the problem, do you think?

0 Ratings