cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chapman2
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Terrible Service, Wasted so much time.....

I was tied into a contract with BT at my old address, I decided to buy my first house, as such I needed to move my broadband. Of all the things to balance when buying a house, solicitors etc, I did not think for one second transferring my broadband connection would be the biggest headache.

Anyway, I contacted BT around 10 days before my move and agreed a date for the transfer, Fri 13th Nov (probably shouldn't have arranged somethings for Friday 13th). I was told I would be called in a few days to confirm everything.

I don't hear anything from BT, nothing. This turns into a bit of a pattern so bear with me.

So on Saturday 14th Nov I called to see why my internet hadn't come on. This is the first time I'm told my connection has been delayed, but I was promised faithfully I would be contacted with an update.

No update for a week.....

I then call order management, who introduce the concept that although they are the people who manage the orders, they can only give me an update once a week...but am told not to worry, they'll ring me back.

No phone call received....

I then ring again, am told some lies about them having to dig up the road to put a line in (I was told many lies by order management, I won't go into detail, but I always felt they were buying time). They then tell me there is nothing they can do until the following week.... But I shouldn't worry and they would call me.

I didn't receive A phone call.....

I then ring on Friday 26th Nov, 13 days after the start date, basically to either get a proper update or to cancel.

After an hour on the phone I'm promised faithfully it will be done today (30th Nov). I book the day off work and am told to expect an engineer 8am - 1pm.

No engineer turns up....no phone call....no update.

I then spend 2 hours in total speaking to various departments, with a general sprinkling of lies, you know the old "we definitely can't cancel your order, you need this department which happens to be the one who sent you here".

I'm told there is nothing they can tell me, and the next update is on the 7th Dec... But am promised faithfully I'll be called on the 8th with a resolution that will "please" me.

ive now wasted a days annual leave, many hours on the phone (I would estimate, in reality, without exaggerating for effect. , 6-8 hours). But I shouldn't worry because I'll be "pleased" on the 8th.

Can I propose something, you take responsibility for the failures of your staff and system, you apologise for wasting so much of my time, and you let me go to a more competent company without penalty.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Terrible Service, Wasted so much time.....

this is a customer help customer forum and your post do not go to BT

only people here that can help are forum mods who are only BT here. They will post here to help. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Chapman2
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Hi IMjolly, if I'm honest I'm out of other options. I just get passed department to department on the phones. If I ask to speak to a manager all I get is "they're in a meeting", managers at BT sure seem to have a lot of meetings because I asked 3 times on 3 different phone calls. Twice I got promised a call back, but in line with my experiences I got no phone call.

I've seen some other people get some responses and help on here, so just taking a long shot really.
0 Ratings
Chapman2
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

I plan on telling my bank to stop allowing BT to take money (yes they've been charging me whilst not providing me anything), I assume they'll be in contact when they think their owed money. I did once get an offer because I was a "valued customer", they wouldn't charge me line rental whilst my service was down.

Such a kind offer, they won't charge me rental for the line they can't install. What a business model, I'd love to be able to charge rent on something I plan one day of doing.
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 5 of 12

Hi Chapman2 and welcome.

I'm really sorry you've had such a hard time with the order. Your best bet would be to contact our orders live chat team. They're UK based and will own the complaint until resolution. I'll drop you a PM now with a link where you can chat them online. Once you've done that post back and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Chapman2
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

BT have accepted that the account can be closed with no early cancellation fees.

Virgin media will install broadband next Thursday.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@Chapman2 wrote:

Virgin media will install broadband next Thursday.

I assume that you are in an area that they already have cable in the ground outside your house, otherwise they simply use your existing phone line, and Openreach do that, and you would be still in the same situation.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

Virgin Media now only operate in areas covered by their cable.  All the regular broadband was sold off to TalkTalk.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@Ectophile wrote:

Virgin Media now only operate in areas covered by their cable.  All the regular broadband was sold off to TalkTalk.

Thanks, I did not know that. Its odd that when a member of the family who has just moved locally into a non-cable area, enquired about broadband with Virgin, they were told that they could provide normal broadband.

Perhaps they simply pass on the referral to TT?

0 Ratings
gary999
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

i think we can beat all stories about poor service from BT. Even the peoople we speak to on any of the 20+ occasions at BT agree that this is the worst "case" they have ever seen but it is "out of their control".

we started 9mths ago to move our phone over when we moved. I think we are now at version 11 of the BT / Openreach game where they blame each other for either not connecting the line or waiting for either the road to be dug up someone to "look into the box".

We have had numerous visits from engineers to sit and read their newspaper or eat their sandwiches in our drive - it's almost hilarious - but there must be a pact between them all to not actually try and fix anything !

Lucky for us - they reached new highs by cutting off the line last week so no phone or broadband over xmas - thanks BT. The good news is that we then got an email saying they would have an update for us on the 31st Dec - although this would be the 5th update text or email we have got - so not that confident anything will happen. I can't believe posting on the forum will help as none of the previous 10 phone calls have - but let's see !! well done BT and many thanks.

0 Ratings