cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gpblancs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Terrible Wireless Speeds

Firstly, everything in my house, the location of my BT landline, broadband connection, router, furniture, walls doors etc etc has been the same for years. So NOTHING has changed within the house except for one thing - my wireless speeds.

I am fairly computer and IT literate and I know that wifi speeds depend on distance from the router, walls, doors etc in the way but that does not seem to explain my issue.

I am on BT Infinity 2 with a Hub 5 and as I have a cabinet right outside my house I get, what appears to be, a constant 62-64 Mbs on my wired pc's of which there are 2.

However, wirless is now a completely different thing.

Up until about 18 months ago I was getting resonable wifi speeds at the furthest room from the router, about 8-10Mbs and in the room where the router is located that was 50-60Mbs. This was measured on either an iPad, iPhone, Sony Z2 phone etc.  The Hub 5 I had at the time became faulty so another one was eventually provided by BT and the trouble started there. That was about 4 months ago.

With that Hub 5 installed I was only getting about 0.3-1.0Mbs in the room furthest fom the router and about 20 Mbs in the room where the hub is located. As the wirless speeds had not improved I contcated BT Customer Supports and after much "discussions" another Hub 5 was provided and that was about 2 weeks ago.

But nothing has changed and this is driving me nuts.

BT had suggested that if things did not imprive with the new hub 5 that I might need a BT Openreach engineer to come out and check my wiring. Why? How can this relate to wifi speed.

Suggestions and help please.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Terrible Wireless Speeds

do you have the wifi bands split?  some devices don't like 2.4/5ghz combined

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gpblancs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

I  think I know what you mean.

Currently I have both the 2.4  and 5 ghz frequencies on the same wireless network.

I tried spillting them on the previous Hub 5 and for a time I did get better speeds on the 5 ghz network but that too fell off.

0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 19

Hi there, have you checked that wireless b/g/n are enabled. I had a Plusnet router and this wasn't enabled as default... Hope this helps

0 Ratings
gpblancs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Hi,

I have checked and b/g/n are all enabled on 2.4 ghz and a/n/c on 5 ghz

0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 19

I think if it were me, as everything points to wifi, I would factory reset the router, and reset the wifi connections on the devices which aren't getting the speed/connection they should be. Switching to a dedicated wifi channel (1, 6 and 11) might also help as there could be intereference from neighbouring properties etc. Do you have just the one router, with no extenders/repeaters? Just prior to having these problems have you added another connected device to your WLAN, like Sky Q for example?

0 Ratings
gpblancs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Thanks dgw1

I will do the factory resent and equiment resets in a bit. But to answer your last few qestions.

1) I only have one roter

2) No extenders

3)I have had a Sky wifi box for ages, well before the problem started

4) I have recently added an Apple TV box but again the problems were there before I installed that.

Another question I meant to add originally.

Does BT have a tech service department/number to call. I appreciate that the customer services people have to follow a set procedure, which by the way I raised a formal complaint about previously, but with the greatest respect to them they appear to have very little technical knowledge. Hence, my surprise at them suggesting I need a BT Openreach engineer out to check my wiring when it is purely a wifi issue.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 19

I suggest you don't take up the offer of an Openreach engineer as this could result in a callout charge to yourself. Maybe worth getting one of the many WiFi analyser apps available installed on your smartphone. As you say nothing has changed in your own home environment so this suggest an external influence.
It could be as simple as a neighbouring router on the same channel as yours. You could check this with the app. You could then change your router to a less congested channel.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
gpblancs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Thanks Dave.

Could you give a name of any apps I could use as I can't find anything.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

See this link on my help website Checking wireless channels

There are a few suggestions.

0 Ratings