cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KDowner
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Terrible and rude service from BT

I've been with BT Internet for over a decade and BT as a landline for 30+ years.. Never had an issue and always sang their praises to all my friends, etc...

But when they sent me the hub5, they asked me to return the hub3 to them for recycling, which I then did. But after about 3 months orso, the hub started doing random things, such as switching off randomly and more than anything, giving me the worst wifi signal ever. So I called BT and said here must be a fault with my service. So they ran tests, I checked all my settings and everything from my side was all ok, so they sent me another hub5 and I sent the old one back..

I received the new hub5, but pretty much had wifi issues since day1. I can't get signal in the next room and it's a normal house with normal walls I live in. If I'm on my phone and walk to the kitchen, the signal drops and I'm stuck on 4g. I thought it might be my phone, but it's doing the same on my wife's phone and my work mobile, all 3 mobiles are on different providers. My laptop and tablet do the same, they drop signal if I move away from the room where the router is.

I again checked everything in my house, but I don't have any interferences, as I don't have a wireless landline, I don't have any blockers anywhere near my rooms. Ie microwave or special remote controls etc..

So I bought a BT wifi extender for the other side of my house, but it never gets connection as it just cannot find the router at all, I know if works as it works fine when plugged into the main room with the router

So I contacted BT and told the hub5 they sent me also doesn't work and I asked if they can just not send me the hub6, as my friends use it and they (and me when I visit) have amazing signal even long into their garden.

BT then literally told me they won't do anything as I should not be using wifi enabled items as they will never offer assistance with wifi, the lady even told me that their adverts are rubbish and lie (I recorded the call!!!)

So I said could they send me he hub6 because all the issues I've had and I've been with them for such a long time and they said, not a chance. If I wanted it, I could buy it but they wouldn't help me (their actual words)

So I feel disgusted by their services and just plain rudeness of their staff.. I'm still contracted with them for another 5 months, but really don't want to keep paying for a service I cannot use as its **bleep** and a drain on my money and resources in the house.

I would get another router, but BT have made it so difficult for this to happen, as they lock a lot of features to prevent this.

I know it's only the Internet, but I make my living from it and cannot do my job correctly without it and it's stressing me out, I've already lost a customer because of lack of service..

I've been able to test a friends Hub6 while they were on holiday and the signal was amazing. Throughout my house and into my garden. So this proves that the issue is 100% the Hub5 and not my house or area itself. But BT are basicly calling me liar and do not care about us at all..

My contract doesn't finish until the 5th of April so I have to endur this rubbish for a while yet.. I have raised a claim with the ombudsman for help, as it's ridiculous..!

I'm so unhappy with BT
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Terrible and rude service from BT

You could buy a decent third party VDSL modem/router for under £60 and you will undoubtedly find it a superior product than any of the BT hubs.

Using a different router is not blocked by BT. Many people on this forum use one. Third party routers are easily set up. Most are just plug and play and if not it is only a case of setting the user name.

EDIT: The Ombudsman won't do anything until you have gone through the BT complaints procedure and assuming it has not resolved your problem you must then get a deadlock letter. Once that has all been done the Ombudsman may then become involved. 

0 Ratings
KDowner
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Hey, yes I do agree and I could buy a much router/modem. But why should I, when I'm paying BT over £40 a month for their services, so it should be them that offer me the hardware I need for my service to work correctly..

As my own tests have concluded that the Hub6 works great and the Hub5 which I have, doesn't perform what it should..

But thank you
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

I didn't say you should buy one only that you could buy one in response to your comment "I would get another router, but BT have made it so difficult for this to happen, as they lock a lot of features to prevent this"

If your HH5 is faulty BT will only replace it with the same model. You should have a read through this forum about problems with the wireless amongst other things with the HH6 before you decide that you want one of them.

0 Ratings
KDowner
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Alright buddy, thank you..

But as I said, the hub6 from my friend worked perfectly for the whole time I had it, so for me this hub will work..

As BT replaced my hub3 with the crappy hub5, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't offer me the hub6..
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@KDowner I can assure you that BT do not 'lock a lot of features' to prevent use of a third party router, quite the reverse in fact. Many features of third party routers are not accessible to Home Hubs. I can honestly say that I have never used a BT provided router. As gg30340 has said, the HH6 is definitely not all it is cracked up to be.

0 Ratings
KDowner
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Thank you.

The Hub6 might not be the best, but it's a **bleep** whole lot better than the crappy hub5 I've been left with now..
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

There's a whole lot of people that would disagree with that statement and have reverted to the HH5. Shows you how bad they both are!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

I never thought I'd defend the HH5 but if you look through the threads on here about it you will see many people have gone back to the HH5 because they have found it superior to the HH6.

Regardless of which is the better of a bad bunch, BT will not give you one for free and it is certainly not worth paying money for. If you really want one the best you can hope for is to try re-contracting and making it part of the deal.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

As you make your living from the internet I would've thought the first thing you would've done was to buy your own modem/router.

All an ISP is required to supply is a wired connection to the internet the rest is just a sales gimmick. One ISP started it and the rest followed suit. No ISP's support WiFi.