cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jleyland1239
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Terrible internet speed for over a decade and finally had enough.

Where I live in St. Helens we have been lied to for years, mistreated and massively disrespected by this 'company'. In 2011 if not before that, we were PROMISED fibre optic broadband but they kept pushing it back 3 months every single time till in mid 2016, we where told we would never be getting fibre broadband as it was not 'profitable' enough for them. I find it hilarious how a company can say such a thing when they spent millions if not billions to get some of the football tv rights, you will even see now the first thing you see when you come on is site is bt sport, thank god that ofcom have stepped in and is prying openreach from their claws. I get packet loss every single day, I get 3mb download speed but I don't think it's ever actually been that. I can't do a thing. So many small businesses have had to either abandon all hopes of setting up their dreams and making a better life for themselves or had to close as they could not provide an acceptable service to their target consumer base.

now this is were is gets interesting, a bt technician came out and I asked him about it, and he said it was because the council blocked the fibre plans, however, I went to my local councilor as I am good friends with her and she told me they did no such thing, and bt cancelled plans because there wasn't enough money in it for them. I know it's not the mods fault and I'm not lashing out at them by any means, just the morally void company of which they work for. All of my local councillors are fed up with bt.

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/14259013.Hundreds_of_residents_fed_up_with_slow_Internet_speeds_s...

This is what it has come to.

https://gyazo.com/821b62fd15d1e87cc57d7bd57e18ca22

This is now on Openreach site what exactly does it mean? We have been lied to in the past about this stuff why sudden change?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Terrible internet speed for over a decade and finally had enough.

Hi @Jleyland1239

I understand your frustration, however the rollout in regards to the Openreach fibre broadband rollout is being done by Openreach, a separate entity run business within the BT Group. There may be a many reasons for the delay or alteration in the deployment plans to your area.

This is a BT Consumer customer to customer help forum. BT Consumer is a Communication Provider and customer to Openreach, they can only go buy the information released by Openreach to all Communication Providers.

You can contact Openreach via, http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/fibre-broadband-availability.aspx

What cabinet and exchange are you on? As that it looks like the majority of that area is under the commercial footprint, i.e may not be elegible for state aid - e.g BDUK/SEP, due to another infrastructure provider available in your area providing a "superfast" broadband service.

Have you also considered a Community fibre partnership build (where the community self funds the deployment of a fibre based broadband solution)? - http://www.communityfibre.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Openreach are a private company with a purpose of making a profit for its shareholders.

Investment is only made where commercially viable.

Have you spoken to your local BDUK scheme? The local councils often fund the difference between Openreach's standard input fund to provide a cabinet, and the actual cost to provide a cabinet.

I assume you've posted a similar post on Virgin, Hyperoptic and Gigaclear's forums about their lack of investment in your area?

This forum is for BT retail customers, not in any way connected to Openreach. BT retail are an ISP just like Sky, TalkTalk etc they have no control over the network.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Jleyland1239
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

https://gyazo.com/821b62fd15d1e87cc57d7bd57e18ca22

Thanks for your reply, this is mainly what i want answered though what does the 'in a fibre plan' 'Design' stage mean?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Pretty much what it says on the tin.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 9

They are planning and the design details of the deployment within software to create a visual deployment model for the area (creates estimates on what needs to be done). Once these are created, they are then used by surveyors to see if it matches up with the actual environment and to check if the adequate infrastructure is there for use along the route.

www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre/fibre-journey.aspx#design
0 Ratings
Jleyland1239
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

So it's not really a fibre optic guarantee? or well as close as a cmompany can get to a guarantee

0 Ratings
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

@Jleyland1239 wrote:

So it's not really a fibre optic guarantee? or well as close as a cmompany can get to a guarantee

Unfortunately, it's not a guarantee at all. At that stage any number of issues could arise to prevent rollout.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

No guarantee at all I'm afraid.

0 Ratings