cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew_May
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Terrible service, terrible customer support, can ANYONE help me here?

Hello all,

I used to post before (A couple of years ago) when we were having broadband problems, and that all got sorted out and all was fine... until something happened this week, and this is the last straw, especially with the attitude we have recieved from the call centres, which I will explain below.

Okay, so the problem started Tuesday night. I noticed my Sky HD box had knocked itself off, which I thought was strange (Red light on the box), so I switched it back on (There is a reason this is relevant, bear with me).

After that, our broadband kept cutting out, signing me out of Xbox live etc. When I reset the router, it would come back on, but keep cutting out, and the internet has been sluggish as hell.

Now, here's why I brought up the Sky HD box going off, because when we pick up our phone, we get an awful load of noise on the line, and also a message which keeps saying "Welcome to Sky voice mail 150". We are not even with Sky for any phone or broadband services. Ontop of that, this automated message keeps playing over and over, even when I can get through to someone on the phone, it still has all that noise in the background, beeps, that sky voice mail message etc, and people on the other end can hear it too. What is going on??

Now... spent all day on Wednesday on the phone to BT, and they said it would be fixed within 24 hours. We had had enough by this morning, so spent a further two hours trying to get somewhere on the phone and were told they couldn't do anything until the 6th Feb. WHAT???? I paid for my service and I expect it fixed asap, not 6 days later. If I missed my payment by ONE day, I would be cut off, yet here I am, all paid up, and no service because they won't even rush to find the problem. The one call centre guy told us "Sir, business lines take priority over you", and another told us the same thing. How insulting!! We got through to cancelations and a nice scottish woman told us we should never have been told that, as it isn't their policy to say that. These call centres are a joke! You get nowhere, and you get nothing but attitude. The scottish lady was very nice though, and offered us a discount for a year, but still told us it would take until the 6th.

Not happy with any of it, and it's the last straw really, especially with the call centre insulting us with attitude and tellings us people who pay for business lines take priority. I am a paying customer just like someone paying for a business line!

I have my mac code now and am seriously thinking of leaving BT if this isn't fixed by tomorrow. I am not waiting until the 6th. We even got an email, and I quote this part:

"We've had a look at your problem and think we can fix it by the end of 06/02/2013."

THINK??? It's disgraceful they expect us to wait that long, and even then they only THINK they can fix it?? Not happy at all with the service provided by BT, and I am sick to death of phoning call centres with the same copy/paste replies etc.

Why would I be getting that "Welcome to Sky Voicemail 150...." automated message non stop on the line too? Even when trying to talk to someone down the phone through the sheer amount of noise? I thought it was weird that our Sky HD box switched off Tuesday night, and then all these problems happen.

I have been a customer of BT for years, and I mean years... but these problems, attitude from call centres, and the fact they won't even send out an engineer to check the exchange, outside our house etc until the 6th of Feb, appalling to be honest.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Terrible service, terrible customer support, can ANYONE help me here?

It sounds like a crossed wire. engineer appointments are taking longer due to the extreme weather around the country, not much anyone can do really.

FYI business lines do have a higher priority then residential lines.

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

Also no one could guarantee you a fix date until the problem is diagnosed. In some circumstances open reach have to get planning permission to dig up roads etc.
0 Ratings
Andrew_May
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Thanks for the reply, but we were told when we got through to cancelations that we should never have been told business lines take priority over our line as that isn't their policy, so not sure what to believe now.

Waiting until the 6th is just unacceptable. I have disabilities and need the phone and broadband.

The thing is, if I coudn't get out and put money into the bank to pay BT due to the weather, they would cut me off straight away. Here I am, a fully up to date and paid customer, and they are telling me I have to wait until the 6th? Double standards, and it's wrong.

Again, thanks for the reply, but this is just unacceptable. I think I may try my luck with Sky for broadband and calls now that I have my mac code. I am having a ****** service with BT, so I may as well get a ****** service cheaper it seems.

Sorry to sound off too, but I am just fed up now between the call centres, the attitues on them, the copy/paste same old same old script they feed you, the terrible service etc... just had enough.

If they would fix all this by tomorrow (It's been 3 days now!) then I would have been happy. Waiting until the 6th? Not happening and they will lost a customer that has been with them for many many years.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Hi It is Openreach that supply the network and maintain it.  Not BT,

Openreach operate under rules laid down by OFCOM and that means they provide an equal level of service to all providers BT get no preferential treatment from Openreach the waiting period you have is at this time about the average wait as weekends are not counted

Also due to continuing bad weather Openreach have a large backlog of outstanding work as staff are being moved around the UK to help to clear the backlog they are also employing contractors to assist in clearing the backlog of repairs and new installs

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Business lines do get a higher level of service SLA this is due to the higher cost paid by the customer

also changing provider will not speed things up as it will still be Openreach who carry out the work 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Just a quick test that may show if the sky box is possible causing the problem you could try disconnecting the sky box from the phone line and see if the problem ceases sky boxes have been known to cause a number of different problems particularly the fact that they do not fit a filter on there phone connection
0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 15

It's common when people are unhappy they say thatBT would cut them off if they were a day late with their bill, but that's not true. It's nearly 2 weeks the period BT allow to be late.
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 15

@Andrew_May wrote:

The thing is, if I coudn't get out and put money into the bank to pay BT due to the weather, they would cut me off straight away. 

As geo says, you don't need to worry about that. Here's what BT's Residential Standard Terms say:

Capture.JPG

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Andrew_May
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Well, thanks for the replies, but still not acceptable in my opinion to wait until the 6th to get sorted out.

Anyway, regarding unplugging my sky box from the phone line... my sky box isn't even connected to a phone line, so it isn't that.

This is all a mess, and I am having no joy with the BT call centres and still no help at all. This post was also moved to the phones section. Why? It is a broadband issue also.

I guess I won't get this resolved soon, and am having no help, or satisfaction with BT, which makes it easier now for me to use the mac code and go with Sky for my calls and broadband. Hopefully I will at least get better customer support with them (My parents and many others I know have had zero problems with Sky).

As for the other reply regarding my comment about double standards. One occasion, my money was late going into the bank by just one day. BT cut me off straight away with not even so much as giving me until the next day to pay it. They have taken my money now, and have left me with no fit service and I am supposed to accept waiting until the 6th? Unacceptable, and complete double standards.

No more BT. If this issue isn't resolved by later today, I am phoning Sky.

0 Ratings