Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seanerino
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Terrible speeds from BT

Hello there,

First post on here and from what i can gather and my experience so far with BT, its going to be far from my last.

Had BT broadband for about 4 months now and have never been any faster than 900kbps download speed. I was told initially that it'd be around 2.5 download which i could live with, as it was a little cheaper than my previous provider. (Who i was getting 3-4meg download) but i've had nothing anywhere near this.

I have called the technical help folk in India and had the test socket in for 24 hours, well nearly 48 actually as they never rang back, but that came to nothing. Then they said it was a fault on BTs side and needed to send an engineer to the exchange. This would apparantly take 3 working days and i was to reset my router after this and I was also in line for any money back that id paid. Very surprisingly it was no different after the reset. So, of course i call back and I get a different chap who would not acknowledge that i had been through all of these tests before and wouldnt defer from this 'script' they seem to have, even though i had a log number. Ive now given up. 

ive done the BT test:

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 843 Kbps

0 Kbps1000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 843 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-1000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1472 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 320 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 235 Kbps

0 Kbps320 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 235 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 320 Kbps

Im a little unsure as to what the figures should be but i know this is painfully slow and more than useless.. My exchange is green coded and im not that far away..

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 21:28:51
Downstream:1.438 Mbps
Upstream:320 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):6.6 dB / 8.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):52.7 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.7 dBm / 12.1 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):583754 / 72
CRC Events (Down/Up):870 / 146
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):6181 / 122
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):887 / 213

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
seanerino
Beginner
Message 2 of 11

Re: Terrible speeds from BT

sorry hadnt finished there.. just wanted to make sure i didnt lose it!

yes so ive also emailed BT and had no reply! nice.

If anyone could shed any light over this id be very grateful as im at my wits end. The broadband i have is worse than useless. 

After reading through these forums i really think BT should take note of some of the posters and sub-contract them as technical help! Then maybe something would get done.

Thanking you in advance,

A VERY frustrated longer for the days i wasnt a BT customer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

welcome to the forum

from your attenuation you are about 3.8km cable length from the exchange and with a good line and no noise problems I would expect about 4mb connection speed.

there is nothing that jumps out as obviously a problem from the stats posted - apart from speed is low.

are you still connected directly to the test socket via a filter?  have you tried changing the filter for another?

try the quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best done with a corded phone is possible.

has the router been disconnecting on it's own or have you been resetting in the hope it will improve your speed?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
seanerino
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Hi there thanks for the quick response!! see previous post BT about sub-contracting!

No im plugged into the main socket now via the filter. I have tried both of the filters BT sent me aswell as my own! 

Just also tried the quiet line test and all i could hear was that lovely lady repeating quiet line test!

I have reset the router a couple of times but not since at least last Friday. Strange as it says ive only been connected for 22 hours? maybe its dropping on its own?

I dont really know where to take this now to be honest, surely BT cannot make me sit out my contract if they are not living up to their side? I read somewhere that they are covered from between 1-4 meg? which i am not getting.  UGH!

Again, thanks for the quick response, its much appreciated.

Sean

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Hi your connection is at 1.4mb the minimum acceptable on your line is 400kb so you are well above the minimum acceptable speed to get any speed increase you really need to find out the causes of the disconnections you are having it could be worth checking the hubs power features and see if it is powering down at certain times also as imjolly said it could be worth connecting to the test socket that is located behind the master socket front plate using this socket will disconnect any extensions you have and connected you directly to the exchange
0 Ratings
seanerino
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

if those are the speeds on which BT judge whether theyre providing the service they say they would, then why are we not told these to start with?? There is no way on earth i would have ever taken broadband offered anywhere near 400kb.  Oh.... just answered my own question. Ive been ripped off.

Ive been down the test socket route with the 'technical support' in india and they deduced it was a BT issue and i should get my money back. They gave me an engineers log number and ensured me it would be sorted. 3 weeks on..... 

while im at it, what does it take to get a response from BT??? emailed twice and not even an acknowledement. At least the indians answer the phone even if they are useless. 

BT are officially the worst company i have ever dealt with on every level. Customer service, technical help and customers in general all seem to be at the very bottom of the list. From the sheer volume of complaints, just on this forum, they seriously need to address this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Hi I would suggest you contact the forum mods they have an excellent record of getting faults sorted   this is the link for them http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951They normally reply within 72 hours by email or phone direct to you

0 Ratings
seanerino
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 2 days, 00:39:06
Downstream: 1.438 Mbps
Upstream: 320 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.2 dB / 8.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 52.7 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 17.7 dBm / 12.1 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 1469403 / 121
CRC Events (Down/Up): 1838 / 213
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 11481 / 193
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1233 / 257

Have emailed them yesterday but thanks. Just waiting for a response. Meanwhile, These are today's magnificent stats!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

From your previous posts you have tried the test socket did that improve your connection speed but your download was just the same?  sorry to ask again but do you have other extension sockets in other rooms in your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
seanerino
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 4 days, 06:49:00
Downstream: 1.375 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38