cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Terrible upload speed (download is fine)

I had Infinity installed back in July and whilst the download speed fluctuates it always stays pretty close to the 31Mbps which is the maximum that my line can support.

However my upload speed rarely gets above 0.7Mbps, which is just awful. Occasionally I hit the heady heights of 1.5Mbps, but it doesn't last for long. The upstream ip profile is 10Mbps.

I've done countless speed tests over many weeks (wired & wireless), and power cycled my boxes, but nothing seems to make any difference.

Another annoyance is the ping rate, which fluctuates from about 45ms to 125ms. Most of the time it hovers around 100ms. 

I've emailed BT about all of this in the past, but they never responded. Every time I try to call tech support I'm told they are "very busy and to expect a long delay", which kind of puts me off hanging on the phone.

Can anyone explain why my download speed (approx 95% of theoretical maximum) can be so much better than my upload speed (approx 7% of theoretical maximum)? Is this within the range of 'normal', or does it sound like a fault? 

The BT Speedtest said there was no performance problem with my service at this time.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Terrible upload speed (download is fine)

I would imagine there is a fault on your line, have you spoken to BT at all?

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 12

is this wired or wireless?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

It's both wired & wireless. It doesn't make any significant difference to the speed test in my set up, although ping speed is quicker when wired, as you would expect.

I haven't spoken to BT on the support line because it's always so busy, and to be honest I was expecting they would just fob me off (I had a very bad experience with their customer service during my installation).

If it sounds like a fault on the line then I suppose I'd better get to love that hold music!! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

There is another possibility that you have not yet looked into. It may be worth while checking that BT have actually put you on the package that you are paying for.

I had a similar problem on BT Infinity option 1 (40/10) High download speeds (arround 35Meg) but only up to a max of 1-1.5Meg upload speed. After nearly 3 months of this I contacted BT about the problem.  I had open reach engineers at my house to check for faults only to find out there wasn't any. During the second visit the open reach enginner contacted BT only to be informed by the call centre  that I wasn't on 40/10 but 40/2, this was inspite of the Open reach engineer reading the information with regards to my plan directly of the BT web site on my computer screen.

This has now been put right but in spite of me requesting that BT supply the package that I ordered and have paid for since day 1, I have noticed that BT have also classed it as an upgrade and renewed my order.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would update this one. 

Short story is, after I initially raised this fault with BT back in October they sent an engineer out who (after much head scratching) replaced the wall-mounted modem and the problem was resolved. My upload speeds weren't amazing (about 5Mbps on average), but were WAY better than what I had been getting. Upload speeds remained steady at about 30Mbps. 

BUT THEN... in February I started getting frequent disconnections. Several times each day the line would drop, and then take up to 10 minutes to come back. Ping rates shot through the roof (from about 80ms to about 120ms) and my upload speed came crashing back down to 0.70Mbps.

Also this time, just to add a bit more irritation, the frequent line drops have cranked my upload IP profile down to just 15Mbs, even though when I upgraded to 'unlimited' Infinity a week or two ago it said my max line speed should be in the mid-40s.  

So now, my stats are as follows:

DOWNLOAD = 15.46Mbps (max is 15.97)

UPLOAD = 0.63Mpbs (max is 20.00)

The BTW Performance Test said "The test result has indicated that you should contact your ISP for further assistance."

So here I am, mods Smiley Wink  Please Help!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

This forum is where customers help other customers get the most out of their BT products and services. If you want to contact the mods, you have to fill out the web form http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

I just did, thanks, but you have to put the details on the forum first in order to complete the web form for the mods. 

Appreciate your help, though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

lol
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 10 of 12

Sounds like a fault on your line, contact the moderators.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings